• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Legislation wording - 'without prejudice'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legislation wording - 'without prejudice'

Hello,

(Apologies if this is the wrong forum area)

The term 'without prejudice' as written in legislation (example provided below). What does it mean in laymans terms?

In terms of the example below, I take it to mean 'without revoking the duties given in paragraph X - this, this and that should be done. So long as it doesn't contradict paragraph X'.

Example from the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations:

(1) Every employer shall ensure that work equipment incorporates any warnings or warning devices which are appropriate for reasons of health and safety.
    (2) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (1), warnings given by warning devices on work equipment shall not be appropriate unless they are unambiguous, easily perceived and easily understood.

I imagine the answer is always going to depend on the context of the paragraph, but I see it come up a lot in legislation, and would like a broader understanding of what it means.

Thanks!
    Tags: None

Pretty much what you take it to mean, but not as far as "so long as it does not contradict paragraph X".

"Without prejudice to..." is intended to be used where two or more clauses are interconnected in some way, usually where one might argue there is a conflict or a potential to conflict.

For example if you have Clause A that contains certain obligations and Clause B starts with "Without prejudice to Clause A..." what it means in practice is that nothing stated in Clause B will affect the obligations in Clause A.

You might see similar wording that is less legalistic such as "Without affecting the rights or obligations set out in Clause X..."

Note: The "Without prejudice to.." wording should not be confused with other similar sentences such as "Notwithstanding Clause X" or "Subject to Clause X" which might have a slightly different meaning depending on the context.

"Notwithstanding" and "Subject to" are usually referring to overriding clauses.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X