• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Template

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Template

Is there any templates for witness statement for replying to the court when someone has applied to set aside a default judgement you have aquired against them?
    Most things I have seen on here are pro defendant.
    Tags: None

Hello

Witness statements are fact specific so if you are looking to oppose an application to setting aside a default judgment you just reverse what you've seen on here. For example, the basis of an opposing application might include:

1. The introductory information, such as your name, an explanation that you are making this statement opposing an application to set aside, a statement that the WS is in your own words and within your own knowledge unless otherwise stated and if there's a bundle of evidence you want to refer to then make a sentence or two about that.

2. Identify any information the defendant has omitted from their application/witness statement and insert the relevant statements that you want to rely on in opposing the application together with any evidence. The information should explain why this supports the position that a court should refuse an application to set aside (with reference to CPR 13.2 or 13.3 as applicable).

3. Conclude your statement by saying something like " I respectfully invite the court to dismiss the application to set aside the default judgment, for the reasons explained in this Witness Statement"

You are better off drafting something and putting it up on here for comment than us trying to give you a template which may or may not be appropriate for your circumstances.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you Rob, I'm assuming therefore that the statement would just need to be a skeleton statement? I have a few exhibits to attach...Ill give it a go.
      Last edited by smintram; 24th October 2021, 15:45:PM.

Comment

R0b...I've drafted this...any good? see attached
        Attached Files

Comment

R0b Can you please take a look and advise, many thanks.

Comment

I think he may be on Holidays

Comment

Sorry, I have been busy recently so less focus on coming on the forum.

I will try to take a look later today but I see you have drafted the document as a skeleton argument, I think it would be more appropriate to submit a witness statement which is supposed to be used whenever you want to introduce evidence as part of proceedings, but that is your choice.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER
              Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

so, Just Change the name of the Document?

Comment

It's more than just a change of the document. There's a very helpful guide on preparing witness statements from Hall Ellis Solicitors I would suggest you review Preparing Witness Statements for Court: Step by Step Guide

The title of the document should also be something like "Witness Statement of [insert name]".

I think you have the correct sub-headings as a basis for your statement so that's a good starting point. You've also mentioned the Denton test is also relevant for CPR 13.3 but I think that could be better explained. Really you should be saying (as a sub-heading maybe "Relief from Sanctions") that if the court finds that there is a real prospect or there is some other good reason why the default judgment should be set aside, it is necessary for the court to CPR 3.9 and apply the tests set out in Denton v TH White since the application is also relief from sanctions for failing to file a defence. On this point you can make reference to Redbourn Group Ltd v Fairgate Development Ltd [2017] EWHC 1223 (TCC) (link here)which makes this clear.

Think about whether you can expand on some of your answers to give more detail and persuasion. I feel that when I read it, the sentences are very short and sharp which isn't a problem as such but you are trying to persuade the judge not to grant the set aside.
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Funnily enough, I was just reading the Hall Ellis guide before reading your post I was wondering if you were referring to my answers in relation to his anticipated so called evidence. Im not sure how to expand on that. He's made up some fairy tale excuses, and I was disproving it with exhibits. I don't want to ramble or bore the judge to death, as he probably just wants a bit of meat on the bones. As far as I can see, the only evidence He's submitting is the supposed email, which never even said what he claims He hasn't submitted a draft either.

Comment

Judges are used to statements and skeleton arguments 25+ pages so I'm sure they are not going to be too bothered about reading a handful of pages. The problem sometimes with putting little detail is that the judge may not get the full picture or has to ask a series of questions. If you're happy with what you have drafted then stick to it.

Skeleton Arguments need to be written third person whereas Witness Statements are written first person. In either case you will still need to present a bundle of documents for evidence/support.

Also, you shouldn't be waiting for any additional witness statement or other evidence. When you submit your N244 application to set aside, you should attach at the same time a separate witness statement document or complete the box on the N244 form itself. If you have everything you need then you can submit on that basis but if he tries to produce something not contained in the application or witness statement, then you have every right to object to that.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

R0b,or Celestine I just wanted to thank you for your help so far. It's much appreciated, by the way. I have had another go at it, and just needed to know if something might need omitted, or adjusted. Is there too many Denton references within? Is it worded ok, sub headed ok? I have a few questions about the statement of truth page, and the prep of the Exhibits, but wanted to get the statement straightened out first....I've uploaded the edited statement. Hope someone can help, as it's now officially been transferred to court ...
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by smintram; 5th November 2021, 22:26:PM. Reason: EDITING

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X