• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

RTB - Housing Act 1985 c68

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RTB - Housing Act 1985 c68

Hello.......I am the leaseholder of a flat which has been purchased by exercising the Right To Buy - the lessor and freeholder is my local city council which has undertaken to replace my flat's single glazed windows with double glazed units the cost for which it is seeking to recover through the service charge machinery of the lease.

The matter on which I seek assistance relates to the validity of Schedule 6, Part lll Section 18(c) of the Housing Act 1985 c68 which states: S.18 Where the dwelling-house is a flat, a provision of the lease or of an agreement collateral to it is void in so far as it purports— (c) to authorise the recovery of an improvement contribution otherwise than in accordance with paragraph 16C (restrictions in initial period of lease). My lease provides for the lessor to recover its costs to repair and, if it so wishes, the costs to improve! Will someone please clarify the impact if any, that S.18(c) of the Act has on the provision of my lease as I am in the process of challenging the sum demanded on the grounds that, the works are works of improvement and not works of repair. My major concern at this moment is, given that the legislation.gov.uk web pages are not always current, is S.18 still in force?

My thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond.
    Tags: None

Re: RTB - Housing Act 1985 c68

The up to date (as of 4th October 2017) version of the Housing Act Schedule 6 can be read here: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/68/schedule/6

14Sch. 6 para. 18 substituted by Housing and Planning Act 1986 (c. 63, SIF 61), s. 4(4)(6)Oh:Hi and welcome

Comment

Re: RTB - Housing Act 1985 c68

Hi.......thank you for your time and your response.

I am aware that the legislation.gov.uk indicates that the information it gives is current, but given that it gives the same assurances for S.21 of The Landlord & Tenant Act 1985 c70 which apparently is not in force, leads me to question the sites reliability!

http://www.servicechargedisputeguide...e-information/
      Last edited by Diceman; 10th October 2017, 16:11:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X