• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Halifax issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halifax issue

Hi,

Ive got an issue and just needed some clarification please. I received money in my account yesterday for around £20k. It was from someone that ive known for a few years, hes a few years older and we refer to him as uncle john out of respect. He seems like a normal person and ive never really had an issue. Hes borrowd money from me over the years and in actual reality he probably owes me around 40k! but he promised to pay me off yesterday. When yesterday arrived, as you can imagine i was very nervous, my family and I are actually going on Holiday today but thats on hold ll of a sudden and ill explain why. Yesterday, to my suprised, john rings me and says he will tranfser me all my money to me, and i was like great. He put money in, i was in leicester at the time where my wifes family live, and when it came i was pleasantly surprised. i checked at the cash point he has only put in around £5000, he said he will put more in throughout the day, while me and my wife were out we changed the money to euros since we were out and got it out the way. theres 20 of us going today so 20k was perfect. as we were out he put all the money in and we just changed it as we were getting around in the city centre to suros and left it. Today i tried using my card and it declined. i even tried extracting money and even using my online banking, which was all suspended according to the message. I called the bank, and ive got to say, especially since ive been with them for years, they were really cold. after a lengthy verification process they talked about how payments into my account are fradulent and the person sending the money has not authorised it. straight away i said this cant be possible, they just advised i go into branch and bring proof of entitilement or something like that and they cannot help.

What is going on here? all my money is in my account and i cant access it, plus i can no longer get hold of John, amd i feel like the bank maybe right. I may have just been victim to fraud, its worried me and im not even sure about the holiday... please help, what should i do next
    Tags: None

Re: Halifax issue

Hi and welcome

Unusual activity on a bank account will often spark a fraud investigation by the bank.
    If your account isn't habitually in receipt of deposits of £20,000 in a day it is not surprising that it is now frozen.

I wonder, regarding your "uncle John",how he has suddenly come into funds sufficient to repay you.
    Did he give you any idea of the source of his funds?

Comment

At the time, not at all. He owes me alot more and has been owing it me for a number of years, so i jumped at the idea of me recieving even half my money! I also use my account for everything so it was a very normal thing for me to giv dd detaills and recieve money

Comment

I also made the police, action fraud and the bank know soon as i realised what may have happened here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X