• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

RLP letter ~ can anyone help please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RLP letter ~ can anyone help please?

Hello,

I cringing with shame as I write - and am only writing out of sheer desperation. I know this mess is my doing and I just don't know what to do - I am too embarrassed to speak to CAB and I am petrified a bailiff will appear at my door if I just ignore the RLP letter.

I received a 'letter before claim' letter from RLP requesting payment.

I visited several stores and bought 100's of pounds worth of goods - usually when they had been reduced.

The spend value was ever increasing per visit. (I suffer with quite severe mental health issues and uncontrollable spending has been a problem in the past; which is why, (together with financial problems), I had not done any 'shopping' in years).

A loss prevention officer who said they had CCTV of me buying and returning items for higher amount. He acknowledged I spent a lot of money in store; and said they calculated the fraud amount.

I was held for approx 3 hours and a 2nd loss prevention officer came and conducted the remainder of interview.

They kept stressing the police were en route; repeatedly asking why I did it and how embarrassing it would be for me when people found out.

They also stated PACE would be notified ( I can't remember what they said that was).

They eventually let me go after taking my details and advising the police would visit me at home, as they hadn't been able to get to the store.

Needless to say the last 2 weeks have dreadful- every knock is the police. They haven't been in touch yet.

The RLP letter states that if you have financial problems and are chronically ill they may show leniency. I have been receiving/on meds for depression & anxiety for 13 years; personality disorder since 2013 and tonne of physical problems since 2009 - all for which I take prescription meds.

Please can anyone advise how best to proceed - I know it is completely my fault. I just don't have that sort of money available. Due to my rapidly deteriorating health, I had to give up my job in 2009. (All my stupid spending was on a credit card).

Thank you - I would be very grateful for any help or suggestions.
    Last edited by Willow68; 10th March 2017, 08:10:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: RLP letter ~ can anyone help please?

Hi and welcome

I'm afraid your post has been difficult to read, but do continue to ignore RLP.
    It is most unlikely that they will proceed to court, but if they do you will receive proper court papers.
    Those you must NOT ignore.

In the "Oxford case", which you may be aware of, there was no loss to the retailer.
    In your case the retailer seems to have identified a quantifiable loss of £454.94, which they may pursue.
    Do you agree with this figure? Have you been shown how it was calculated?
    If you do receive court papers, do not ignore them but seek advice.

PACE is the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984.

Comment

Hello Des8,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

No, I have not been given details of now the figure was calculated. I really don't feel the figure is correct - seems very high. During the 'interview', they showed me items that they said were not sold by the company and had been returned by me - yet they were bought in store and some still available on line.

Thank you again for the advice.

Comment

Don't wory about this .
        If you should ever receive proper court papers you can come back for support and advice..
        Otherwise ignore all RLP letters .... put them in a drawer for now!

Comment

Thank you so so much for your reply.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X