• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Remove Missed Payments on credit file due to unfair charges - Santander

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove Missed Payments on credit file due to unfair charges - Santander

Hi there

I am trying to get a mortgage but looked at my credit file and although my score is good with no debt I have missed payments from a Santander current account. The reason they were missed is because around £500 in charges were levied on to my account that I didn't pay as I was disputing them at the time (so they snowballed - charges upon charges), on the grounds that they were unfair charges. This occurred in 2014 and the default on my file registered in 2015 when I actually paid it off in full. I basically just paid it to get them off my back, although felt that it was wrong and unfair, as I had also been made redundant. I upheld complaints with them telling them this and the Ombudsman but didn't get anywhere (in fact, the Ombudsman was so useless the letters they sent me were barely literate and got my name wrong!).

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone could help point me in the right direction to try and get these late payments removed from my file. I'm sure there is not a cat in hell's chance but thought I was ask! Thank you!
    Tags: None

Re: Remove Missed Payments on credit file due to unfair charges - Santander

Originally posted by fortunegreen View Post
    Hi there

I am trying to get a mortgage but looked at my credit file and although my score is good with no debt I have missed payments from a Santander current account. The reason they were missed is because around £500 in charges were levied on to my account that I didn't pay as I was disputing them at the time (so they snowballed - charges upon charges), on the grounds that they were unfair charges. This occurred in 2014 and the default on my file registered in 2015 when I actually paid it off in full. I basically just paid it to get them off my back, although felt that it was wrong and unfair, as I had also been made redundant. I upheld complaints with them telling them this and the Ombudsman but didn't get anywhere (in fact, the Ombudsman was so useless the letters they sent me were barely literate and got my name wrong!).

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone could help point me in the right direction to try and get these late payments removed from my file. I'm sure there is not a cat in hell's chance but thought I was ask! Thank you!
    Good afternoon, welcome to LB,

When you say you paid the account off in full was this within the time specified in the Final Demand for Payment of the balance on the current account.

Do you mean your credit file shows months with missed payments which finally end with a default being placed or are there only late/missed payment markers.

nem

Comment

Hi thank you!

I don't ever remember getting a letter for the final demand. I had gone into arrears due to a charge from the bank and refused to pay it and it escalated from there so they put charges on charges (so I had gone into an unofficial overdraft). I disputed this with official complaints and Ombudsman but did not work. It was registered as missed payments (as I paid it off in full in the end). The first payment was recorded late in September 2014 up to the sixth late payment recorded in Jan 15 (when I paid it off).

To confirm there are only late payment notices and no default registered on my credit file.

Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you.

Comment

Bump :stars:

Comment

Hi thank you!

I don't ever remember getting a letter for the final demand. I had gone into arrears due to a charge from the bank and refused to pay it and it escalated from there so they put charges on charges (so I had gone into an unofficial overdraft). I disputed this with official complaints and Ombudsman but did not work. It was registered as missed payments (as I paid it off in full in the end). The first payment was recorded late in September 2014 up to the sixth late payment recorded in Jan 15 (when I paid it off).

To confirm there are only late payment notices and no default registered on my credit file.

OK there is possibly one route that might be successful and that's a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office which regulates the way credit reference details are conducted, the ICO has a view that late/missed payments should not be used instead of a default.

It may be that because you paid of the account in full the ICO could ask the creditor to remove the markers, so the first action is a Formal Complaint to the company that placed the markers stating that you believe the markers to be unfair and they are affecting your ability to obtain credit,

Once you have their response ( if it's negative) you then complain to the ICO.

nem

- - - Updated - - -

Hi thank you!

OK there is possibly one route that might be successful and that's a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office which regulates the way credit reference details are conducted, the ICO has a view that late/missed payments should not be used instead of a default.

It may be that because you paid of the account in full the ICO could ask the creditor to remove the markers, so the first action is a Formal Complaint to the company that placed the markers stating that you believe the markers to be unfair and they are affecting your ability to obtain credit,

Once you have their response ( if it's negative) you then complain to the ICO.

nem

Comment

Hi Nem

Thank you so much for your reply and taking the time to help. I'm on it! Writing a letter now to post tomorrow. Will update on the outcome.

Have a lovely evening.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X