• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ccj been set aside 03/02/17

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ccj been set aside 03/02/17

Hi everyone,
    This is my first post on this website, I am looking for a bit of info regarding a ccj I have just had set aside, I would like to thank everyone on this site as I used as much info as I could find on here which helped me successfully get the ccj set aside. I am wondering now would the claimants application to re apply for a ccj be treated as a new application or would it just go bck to the original date they applied.
    Many thanks
    Phil
    Tags: None

Re: Ccj been set aside 03/02/17

Hi Phil,

Setting aside the CCJ means that unless the claim is withdrawn or dismissed at the same time, there would be a new date for trial for both parties to attend. If the judge rules against you, then you have a grace period of one month from the date of judgment to make any payment as ordered otherwise a CCJ will be recorded on file.

Can you tell us a bit more about the original claim, and did you notify the claimant that you were going to apply for a set aside? Who are the claimants in this case?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi Phila

Normally it reverts back to being a live claim & is as if the actual hearing/judgment has not yet happened.
      Was the judgment set-aside by consent? If so, why?
      Was it a default judgment?
      You've won a battle.......maybe we can help you to win the war!
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi rob
        Thank you for your reply. The claimants are Cabot financial (UK) ltdand the appointed solicitors are Mortimer Clarke. The original debt was an unsecured loan with welcome finance took out pretty 2007, I have sent a sat request to welcome. The original ccj was awarded by default in Jan 2015 for which I had not received the claim forms as I had moved over a year prior to them being issued.i also argued the fact of the debt being statute barred as last payment made early 2007. A solicitor from Mortimer Clarke attended on the day but the judge agreed that I had a reasonable chance of defending the claim and that I acted promptly once I found out about the ccj.hope this helps
        Many thanks
        Phil

Comment

Hi charity
          Yes the judgement wasn't default as I never received the forms to file a defence, the claimant opposed the application to set aside but fortunately the judge deemed to set aside in my favour.
          Many thanks
          Phil

Comment

Sorry was meant to say was by default 😀

Comment

If you have not already done so, send a CCA request + £1 fee to Cabot Financial, pronto!
              http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...y-of-Agreement
              If it were me, I'd send it via Mort C, telling them to forward it on to their client.
              Keep copies & get proof of posting.

They opposed the set-aside? Cheeky beggars!
              Well done for perservering.
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thank you for your reply soon I will send the CCA off to Mortimer Clarke tmw recorded signed for. Would I need to send them a CPR request yet as I haven't yet received the claim form.
                Many thanks
                Phil

Comment

When the CCJ was set aside the proceedings go back to the stage they were at before the CCJ.

From what you say it seems you didn't file a Defence so that might be your next step (I don't know the full facts). Have you got a copy of the set aside Order and does it include any Directions for anything?

Also did you include a Draft Defence with your Application to set aside?

You would send the CCA Request to the Claimant (Cabot) in order for it to be valid. If you don't do that they could argue they've never received your Request so are not bound by it.

Send a copy of your CCA Request to Mortimer Clarke together with your CPR 31.14 Request. In order to know what to include in your CPR 31.14 Request you'll need to see the original POC.

But first of all can you post/type up the Particulars of Claim from the initial claim form. It appears you didn't received that so you can call the court (MCOL) as ask them to send you the "Case Details" by email which is free of charge for the printout.

If MCOL don't/won't do that, then you can get a copy of the original N1 Clam Form from your local county court (where the set aside hearing took place). They will charge you the standard £10 fee I'm afraid and your request may need to be in writing.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Phila12010 View Post
                    The original debt was an unsecured loan with welcome finance took out pretty 2007, I have sent a sat request to welcome. The original ccj was awarded by default in Jan 2015 for which I had not received the claim forms as I had moved over a year prior to them being issued.i also argued the fact of the debt being statute barred as last payment made early 2007.
                    Even if this debt is SB it makes sense to add as many legal arguments as you can muster for your Defence in case it isn't. That's the reason for sending the s 77-79 CCA Request.

I'm struggling to read your post but do you mean you've already sent a SAR to Welcome?

You say you took out the loan in "pretty 2007" do you mean before April 2007? If so what date did the loan start.

How long was the loan term i.e. when was it due to expire if you had continued to pay the contractual monthly amount?

If your last payment was in 2007 and the CCJ was not until 2015, what went on during those eight years that you know of?

Did you have PPI on the loan (possibly front-loaded)?

Did you take out the loan through a broker?

And finally (sorry for all the questions) how much was the original loan (Regulated or Unregulated?) and how much is the claim?

You've now been given the opportunity to defend this claim so you might as well do it thoroughly

Di

Comment

Hi Diana
                      Thank you for your help.i have not yet received the set aside order from the court. I did include a draft defence I sent in along with the n244 form when I applied to have the ccj set aside, I will dig out the defence later and post it on here. Would it be my local court where the hearing was for which I need to send for a copy of the claim form or Northampton where it was issued. Thank you all for your help all advice is greatly appreciated.
                      Many thanks
                      Phil

Comment

I did include a draft defence I sent in along with the n244 form when I applied to have the ccj set aside, I will dig out the defence later and post it on here.
                        Okay that was a Draft Defence, now you have the opportunity to file the real deal.

You need to do that to protect your legal position in the event the Claimant decides to Discontinue the claim. Once a Defence has been filed the Claimant can't re-issue after any Discontinuance unless they make an application to the court for permission which they're unlikely to get if the facts are the same or substantially the same as the first claim, and they can't raise a new claim based on issues you've raised in your Defence.

Di

Comment

I have sent a sat request to welcome finance at the beginning of January, I should be due to receive these forms around Feb 18th. I apologise for the typo this predictive text is annoying haha yes I meant pre 2007. I am awaiting the sat forms to find the exact date but I know I entered an IVA for which last payment was made early 2007 at which point I had to take a long period of time off work during to a back injury and during that time as it was agency work I lost the job so was unable to pay. PPI was taken on the loan but they refused to honour it for what reasons I cannot recall. The loan was taken with welcome themselves as I recall for £1500 but the amount claimed in court is £2300. Hope this helps
                          Many thanks
                          Phil

Comment

Would it be my local court where the hearing was for which I need to send for a copy of the claim form or Northampton where it was issued.
                            Your local court will have the paper file.

Since you won your set aside application what does the court Order say about costs (when you get it) because you want your £255 application fee back don't you

Di

Comment

I know I entered an IVA for which last payment was made early 2007
                              Was this debt included in your IVA?

Did your IVA complete or did it fail in 2007?

You may need to send a SAR to your IVA provider too (if this debt was included).

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X