• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car deposit paid for new car what are my legal rights for refund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car deposit paid for new car what are my legal rights for refund

Good day all
    I have paid a deposit for a brand new car on Sun 22nd Jan, I was informed by the sales man that there were 2 of these cars in the uk, verbally infront of my family.
    Went yesterday to finish paperwork Wed 25th Jan, and when i asked where the car was in the country was told that they dont now could be at docks or still on ship..

Being as the sales person has misled me into paying the deposit,
    What would be my legal rights to the refund of the deposit.

I have studied the paperwork from the main dealer and it says that deposits are none refundable is this legal
    Tags: None

Re: Car deposit paid for new car what are my legal rights for refund

Hi and welcome.
    More important than the current whereabouts of the vehicle is surely the delivery date of your car?

How fixed was that date and has it yet been missed?

Comment

Many thanks for your reply
      Date was verbal for 1st Feb As he stated that there were 2 of that specific model cars in the UK, because they want to invoice for january(Obviously sales man is there to meet his dealership targets).
      As for a written date there is nothing stated on the paperwork from the main dealer
      only thing mentioned is The supplier will endevour to deliver on stated date ( no date present ). !

Would there not be legally a basic 14 day cooling of period under the trading standards act, ( This is a main dealer that i am dealing with ).

Comment

So you weren't really concerned about the current location of the car, but having reflected on your purchase you want to rescind the contractt.

If you signed the order on the dealer's premises and then paid the deposit, I'm afraid you are committed to the deal.
        There is no cooling off period and you are tied to the contract.

They too are tied to it, and if there was a verbal date you should expect delivery within a reasonable time of that date.
        If they don't complete their side of the bargain within a reasonable time you might succeed in cancelling the contract and obtaining a refund of your deposit.
        However what is reasonable is debatable

Comment

Many thanks for the information, you have confirmed what i did expect.

Its more that the sales man has deceived / exagerated the truth of where the vehicle is to get his sale.

Comment

That isnt an uncommon occurrence.
            The salesman probably had information that the vehicle was due in the UK round about such and such a date and "stretched his knowledge" a little in order not to lose the sale.
            The problem is that there are so many variables in the manufacturing process and delivery chain that a guaranteed date is almost impossible.
            I don't think any new car order contains a specific delivery date. They all have a terminology which leaves it open
            As a buyer (in future) just bear it in mind, and force an amendment to the standard terms that "time is of the essence and delivery must be by xyz date plus or minus two weeks" .

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X