• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PRA Group (UK) Ltd v S

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRA Group (UK) Ltd v S

Received a claim?
    Issue Date:
    22nd December 2016
    Amount approx: £8011.93
    Claimant: PRA Group (UK) Limited
    Solicitor: No details given, only a name of the Claimant’s Legal Representative
    Original Creditor: MBNA
    Particulars of Claim: Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers
    The Claimant claims the sum of 8011.93 for debt and interest
    On 03/07/2007 the defendant entered into an agreement with MBNA for a Credit Card under the reference ****************.
    On 30/09/2009 the defendant defaulted on the agreement with an outstanding balance of 7698.85.
    On 29/02/2012 the debt of 7698.85 assigned to Aktiv Kapital Portfolio AS, Oslo, Zug Branch, who itself assigned the debt to PRA Group (UK) Ltd on 31/12/2014.
    Notices of assignment were sent to the defendant in accordance with S136 Law of Property Act 1925.
    Payments of 50.00 received up to 17/05/2016
    AND THE CLAIMANT CLAIMS
    1. The sum of 7646.85
    2. Statutory interest pursuant to Section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8.00% per annum from 17.05/2016 to 21/12/2016 - £365.08 and thereafter at a daily rate of 1.67 until judgment or sooner payment.

Is the debt Statute Barred? No
    List any letters you have sent:
    Any Other Info:

I am female, 56 years old, single.

I’m currently in receipt of benefits since October 2015, due to a nervous breakdown. I am still awaiting a ‘home visit’ to be arranged by the DWP/Health Assessments Centre, despite my Consultant Psychiatrist’s letter of support. Therefore I am existing on ESA but not the due and proper amount awarded after successful assessment but the same rate as a person claiming JSA which is £73.20 per week. I receive also £494.32 Housing Benefit per month.

Per month my actual rent is £570.00: £11.00 council tax: utility bills: £122.18, leaving £19.28 for food, personal hygiene etc per week.

HISTORY
    I lost my job due to mental illness in July 2008. I would use my JSA to keep up with the payments, hoping I would secure another salaried position high enough to repay the monthly balance in full, while paying my monthly outgoings too.

I started a new job in Jan 2009. However, the salary wasn’t enough to keep up the monthly repayments which of course, after a short period resulted in a flurry of letters from MBNA.

I contacted the Citizens Advice Bureau. They helped me fill out an expenditure form, and this resulted in my offering £1 per month.

MBNA were not happy with this, as you can imagine, and if they did indeed send a letter of default and registered my debt with a credit reference agency, as threatened, I am not aware of this. What I do know is MBNA did not seek a County Court Judgment.

And, I have continued to pay without fail £1 every month since, and subsequently to all the many ‘other’ Creditors my debt has been passed on to – details as follows:

1. MBNA debt sold on to Varde Investments (Ireland) with Experto Credite Limited collecting payments – not too sure of the date, and no letter kept advising this.

2. Received a letter from Aktiv Kapital (UK) Limited, dated 26.04.2012. In the letter they advised Aktiv Kapital Portfolio AS, Zug Branch purchased my account from Varde Inv. That they: Aktiv Kapital (UK) Limited and on behalf of Aktiv Kapital Portfolio AS, Zug Branch, have requested Experto Credite Limited to continue managing my account. Under the heading ‘ What next? It continues: We have been advised that you already have a payment arrangement set up with Experto Credite Limited. Although Aktiv Kapital Portfolio AS, Zug Branch own your account, you should still continue to make your payments to Experto Credite Limited.

*Note from me: I found this letter to be quite confusing –
    *Plus notice the word ‘Oslo’ missing from the title ‘Aktiv Kapital Portfolio AS, Zug Branch’ but mentioned in the title in the Particulars of Claim –

A while later I received another confusing letter from Aktiv Kapital (UK) Ltd early in September 2013. I failed to keep a copy of this, but can remember they were informing me that I’d defaulted (?) and that I was to make further payments through another account namely Buchanan Clark & Wells aka BCW.

3. On the 13.01.2015, I received a letter from PRA Group (UK) Limited. They informed me my account ******** was assigned to them from Aktiv Kapital Portfolio, AS, Oslo, Zug Branch on 31.12.2014. (*please note the inclusion of the word ‘Oslo’ in this title) The letter continues: This means we have been assigned all rights, title and interest to your above account and are entitled to all sums owed under the account and also the right to continue with any actions taken prior to the assignment.

For your information, on the 6th November 2014 Aktiv Kapital (UK) Limited changed its name to PRA Group (UK) Limited.

PRA Group (UK) Limited has previously sent your account to be managed by Buchanan Clark & Wells and they will continue to do so.

Your existing payment arrangements to Buchanan Clark & Wells are not affected aby this transfer and you do not need to make any changes in the way any payments are made.

Please note that should your account be registered with the Credit Reference Agencies, this change will be reflected on your record in due course.

Under the terms of this assignment and as fefined in the Data Protection Act 1988, PRA Group (UK) Limited is now the data controller of your personal data contained in the records of this account.

You have the right to access (on payment of a fee) and, where it is inaccurate or incomplete, to update, your personal data. Should you wish to access your personal data, please write to Bachanan Clark & Wells.

-----------------------

Below I have copied a letter, word for word, I received from PRA Group (UK) Ltd, dated 2nd Dec 2016 – I didn’t fully understand this letter.

*please note the Investigations and Litigation address, as detailed in this letter is different of that on the Particulars of Claim. Does that mean the address in this letter is that of the Claimant’s ‘solicitors’ and I can send the CPR request to this address?

“We write further to the above and to inform you that your account has now been transferred to the Investigations and Litigation Department.

This is a letter before claim as required by the Practice Direction on Pre-Action Proto cols, to give you notice of PRA Groups intention to issue court proceedings against you.

You should consider the contents of this letter carefully and seek legal advice or alternatively contact one of the free advice agencies detailed on the enclosed document.

We specifically refer to paragraph 4 of the Practice Direction and set out in that paragraph are the court’s powers to impose sanctions for failure to comply with the Practice Direction.

You will recall that you entered into a written agreement numbered ****************** on or about 03/07/2007 with Virgin Money December 2006 (“the Creditor”). The agreement was regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. The agreement obliged you to make payments, however, in breach of the agreement you failed to make those payments and you are now in breach of the agreement.

By a notice of default the Creditor required you to remedy the breach within the prescribed period and gave notice that, in default of so doing, you would be liable to pay the monies due and owing.

However, you did not remedy the specified breach within the prescribed period and you then became liable to pay the Creditor the sum of £7698.85.

By an assignment in writing dated 06/11/2014 the Creditor assigned the debt to PRA Group. Then by notice in writing the Creditor and PRA Group wrote to you to notify you of the assignement.

PRA Group has made further written and oral requests for payment of the sums but you have not paid the sum due and owing.

If after considering this letter you take the view that you do not owe £7646.85 then we look forward to receiving your reasons why you thake that view plus supporting documentation.

We do not presently envisage that expert evidence will be needed in this claim.

This letter should also be treated as an invitation to refer this dispute to mediation or some other form of alternative dispute resolution (ADR).

In addition this letter triggers certain time limits that affect you:-

1. You are expected to acknowledge and answer this letter before claim by 18/12/2016.

2. You are expected to respond to the invitation to refer this matter to ADR by 18/12/2016.

We look forward to receiving your letter in reply, responding to the claims made against you and/ or setting out your proposals for settlement/payment. We are prepared to discuss repayment options if this assists you.

If we do not hear from you within the above time limits then court proceedings will be issued against you which may increase your liability for interest and costs.

If you have any difficulty in complying with the above time limits please explain the problem to us as soon as possible and we will consider a reasonable request for an extension.

Litigation Manager”

-----------------------------------

I then receive the Claim Form on 24th Dec 2016

Having telephoned the CAB this morning, they are not open until 3rd Jan 2017

------------------------------------

If anyone is still reading this…. Can you help me to respond especially with the defence please.
    Tags: None

Re: PRA Group (UK) Ltd v S

Hello Seagirl

Was a rotten thing to receive on Christmas Eve. These debt purchasers do it on purpose because they know that access to help is limited over the Christmas and New Year period.

Thank you for posting such a comprehensive history of the debt. I see the account was assigned to Varde before being assigned to AK and then PRA. This should be helpful to your situation.

All you need to do today is go online and file your Acknowledgement of Service stating that you intend to Defend All of the Claim. Be careful not to file a Defence at the same time. You have 19 days from the claim Issue Date to do this so if you have any technical problems you can call the court tomorrow when they should be open again (albeit very busy).

You have 33 days from the claim Issue Date (which was 22nd December) to file your Defence so there's plenty of time to get this under control.

Someone on the forum will guide you to their template letters for requesting documents which you need.

I'll pop back tomorrow to explain what I meant about Varde

Di
    Last edited by Diana M; 27th December 2016, 15:21:PM.

Comment

Good afternoon, welcome to LB.

Who is the legal representative for PRA?

CPR 31.14 request goes the legal representative.

Have you acknowledged service of the claim?

What type of account was this e.g. Loan, Credit Card?

When did all payments cease?

What is the default date?

Have you sent a request for a copy of the agreement to the claimant + £1 statutory fee.

nem

Comment

goodness Di, that was quick
        I've been compiling that thread since 7 o'clock this morning, going through all the paperwork I have retained. However, if you did manage to read the last letter I copied, from PRA dtd 2nd Dec, I feel I've brought this on myself because I ignored it... though I didn't really understand it at all.

in serious need of a coffee now before I complete the acknowledgment of service, but in the meantime thank you for your truly fast reply... I don't feel too worried about the future, and look forward to hearing from you later.

Comment

Originally posted by seagirl View Post
          goodness Di, that was quick

in serious need of a coffee now before I complete the acknowledgment of service, but in the meantime thank you for your truly fast reply... I don't feel too worried about the future, and look forward to hearing from you later.
          I'm very familiar with the background of PRA

You didn't bring this situation on yourself. I expect they had every intention of issuing a summons no matter what you would have said in response to their 2nd December letter.

Would I be right in thinking their legal representative is called Surgit Gida?

Di

Comment

Hello Nem,

There is no indication as to who their solicitors are, only from what I've gleaned off the paperwork as stated in the thread... so yes, I too would like to know where to send the CPR 31.14.

Going to acknowledge the service within the next hour, via www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

type of account is/was Credit Card.

Payments never ceased, I always paid every month £1 to the Creditors from the time of being with MBNA, then Aktiv Kapital Portfolio, then latterly PRA Group (UK) Ltd.

I do wish I'd kept that letter detailing the default from Aktiv Kapital, I received in Sept 2013 - but as I have always paid them faithfully £1 every month I couldn't understand what they were going on about.

I'm working towards requesting a copy of the agreement, and will get a postal order for £1 - writing on the reverse 'For Statutory Fee only' and posting it 1st class recorded/signed for delivery.

Comment

There is no indication as to who their solicitors are, only from what I've gleaned off the paperwork as stated in the thread
              I very much doubt they have instructed solicitors. At the moment they are using in-house legals. The name of the PRA Legal Representative will be written/signed at the bottom left on the first page on the claim form (Form N1).

You will be sending your CPR 31.14 Request to them.

Di

Comment

have continued to pay without fail £1 every month since, and subsequently to all the many ‘other’ Creditors my debt has been passed on to – details as follows:

1. MBNA debt sold on to Varde Investments (Ireland) with Experto Credite Limited collecting payments – not too sure of the date, and no letter kept advising this.

. . . . . .
                on or about 03/07/2007 with Virgin Money December 2006 (“the Creditor”). The agreement was regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974.
                The words Varde and Virgin interest me for two different reasons

You will need to send a Subject Access Request to both MBNA and to Experto Credite. I'll explain how and why later.

Di

Comment

The old Varde episode ahhhh

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
                    I'm very familiar with the background of PRA

You didn't bring this situation on yourself. I expect they had every intention of issuing a summons no matter what you would have said in response to their 2nd December letter.

Would I be right in thinking their legal representative is called Surgit Gida?

Di

you are correct !
                    I didn't like to publish their name just in case it was against the rules - Surgit Gida is named as their legal representative on the Claim Form N1SDT

in the letter dtd 2nd Dec, it's signed off by Karen Johnson Litigation Manager

Comment

I very much doubt they have instructed solicitors. At the moment they are using in-house legals. The name of the PRA Legal Representative will be written/signed at the bottom left on the first page on the claim form (Form N1).

You will be sending your CPR 31.14 Request to them.

Di

yes the name is on the form, and you have correctly guessed it since... I have an address on the letter from PRA dtd 2nd Dec which is 2, The Cross, Kilmarnock, Scotland. KA1 1LR, signed off by their Litigation Manager.

I'll complete the CPR 31.14, and address it to PRA using that address, naming Surjit Gida as the Legal Representative.

Comment

The words Varde and Virgin interest me for two different reasons

You will need to send a Subject Access Request to both MBNA and to Experto Credite. I'll explain how and why later.

Di
                        I cannot tell you the relief I feel Diana, since I've received your kind words, and help in this matter.

Comment

[QUOTE=Diana M;697719]

All you need to do today is go online and file your Acknowledgement of Service stating that you intend to Defend All of the Claim. Be careful not to file a Defence at the same time.

I found that very helpful Diana, especially the advice to say I intend to "defend all of the claim", as I really wasn't sure which out of all the options I should go for... thank you

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                            The old Varde episode ahhhh
                            glad to hear it isn't just me out there facing what feels like an 'epic saga'

Comment

you are correct !
                              I didn't like to publish their name just in case it was against the rules - Surgit Gida is named as their legal representative on the Claim Form N1SDT

in the letter dtd 2nd Dec, it's signed off by Karen Johnson Litigation Manager
                              My lips are sealed

Like I said, I'm familiar with PRA's in-house legal infrastructure.

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X