• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shared Ownership: Renting Out a Room

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared Ownership: Renting Out a Room

Hello,

I inherited a property when my Dad passed away almost six years ago now. The property is owned by me and my two brothers and is split equally between the three of us. All of the probate and everything was sorted out years ago.

I live in London, in rented accommodation. One of my brothers lives with our Aunt and the third brother lives in the three bedroom house by himself.

I cleared out my room in this house and have gotten it looking fairly nice. I was hoping to rent it out to a friend for £200 a month (plus he contributes towards the bills). It is just one brother that will be living with him.

I have a couple of questions:

• Do I need a HMO license?
    • Does the rent have to be split three ways?

The brother who is currently living in the house has never paid any rent.

I am hoping to put the rent money into a personal account and use it for maintenance on the house. I feel as though it is my room and if they want they can rent out their own rooms. And it has been particularly kind to have not charged any rent from them.

What are your thoughts from a legal perspective?

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Shared Ownership: Renting Out a Room

As there will only be two people in the house it not an HMO as that needs at least three people.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X