• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help! Retail Loss Prevention will be contacting me and I am only 16.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Retail Loss Prevention will be contacting me and I am only 16.

Hello, I was recently caught shoplifiting in Boots. The security man said that hecause I am over 16 I will have to pay compensation because i am over16 however I lied to the security gueard and said that i was 18 so he wouldnt call my mum. When they send me a letter will i have to pay or can i just send proof of my date of birth so they dont charge me?
    Tags: None

Re: Help! Retail Loss Prevention will be contacting me and I am only 16.

Hi and welcome.

I know that whatever you read on here you will worry, but please try not to as nothing too horrible will happen.

Firstly, from your account the police were not involved, and so will not be.
    You will not be charged with any offence whatsoever.

Retail Loss Prevention (RLP) will write to you requesting payment of an amount in the region of £150.
    They will try and justify this by claiming you have to pay security costs and the like.
    This is a load of poppycock.
    They will threaten that if you don't pay they will advise Boots to initiate a civil court action to recover this amount.
    They won't actually do this, as last time they tried they were spanked by the judge.

What you must do is ignore their letters.
    Thy will write many letters threatening all sorts of things, even using red ink and employing debt collectors.
    They will offer to accept a reduced amount .
    They will say anything to get money out of you.
    Just ignore them, and eventually they give up.

They are very clever at pressurising people, and you might find it better to fess up to your mother rather than have the anxiety of trying to keep this a secret.
    After all you will receive a number of letters to keep out of your mothers view.
    You could show her this thread.

Whatever you decide, keep ignoring them.

Comment

thank you so much! so do you think its best i do not contact them? also, a policeman was there but said he wasnt here to prosecute me? so does that mean ive not been charged?

Comment

If you had been charged, you would have been given a "charge sheet" detailing the offence.
        Did the policeman give you anything?
        What did he say?
        I doubt there is anything to worry about anyway.

Regarding RLP DO NOT CONTACT THEM OR REPLy TO THEIR LETTERS.
        To do so only encourages them to write more threatening letters as they seem to take it as a sign of weakness

Comment

The policeman just said i was lucky this time. And okay thank you, I will just ignore them. Thanks for all your help!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X