• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

ccj over 6 years old

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccj over 6 years old

Hi, can anyone help please. I have read similar message about the enforcement of a ccj after the 6 years but want to see what i can do before contacting the company that have sent me recent letter about the debt.

9 years ago i had several debts that i thought i had paid off, but apparently i missed one for a credit card for about £2,400, I moved to Spain and lived there for 4 years. In 2010 the credit card debt collector applied for a ccj against me. I obviously didn't receive a letter saying i was being taken to court so couldn't defend the claim or offer any payment plan. When i returned to the uk i decided not to have anymore credit and therefore never looked at my credit history, and therefore unaware of this debt.
    today i have received the letter saying I owe the monies.

I have never been approached till now to pay the debt and therefore never been allowed to clear it. I am self employed and classed as low earner with no mortgage although i am now married and my wife has a mortgage.
    Can they still demand payment for the debt as i have never acknowledged it, and the fact i was never given the opportunity to defend it one way or the other, plus the fact that within the 6 years it was NEVER enforced ?
    Tags: None

Re: ccj over 6 years old

A judgemnet debt needs to be enforced within 6 years.
    The creditor would need to apply to the court to enforce after expiry of 6 years

Comment

does that mean they can still chase me for the debt although i never had the opportunity to defend the court summons ? can they still go down third party, bailiff route although i own nothing ?

Comment

they can try chasing you all they want, but as they have failed to enforce within 6 years of te CCJ there is little they can do about it without a court order

Comment

my worry is that will apply for court order to freeze my bank account which my customers put money into so i can pay for their materials. Think i need to speak to someone to find my options,,,thanks for your imput

Comment

A CCJ is not subject to the Limitation Act & so does not become statute barred.
            However, the judgment creditor would need an extremely good reason to try & enforce after 6 years from the date of judgment.
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

well i got a reply back which ive written in another thread. To possibly help others though i'll keep you informed in next few days the results so far

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X