• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Guarantor for a Tenant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guarantor for a Tenant

Hi there, I have been a gurantor for my estranged partner for the past 5 years. Unbeknown to me she vacated the property some time ago. It was by pure chance that I found out about this. To verify, I contacted the letting agent whose response was "the tenant has vacated the property" whilst I'm happy not to have the responsibility anymore, are the agents not obligated to let me, the guarantor, know when the tenant left the property I was responsible for?
    Tags: None

Re: Guarantor for a Tenant

If you were guarantor for the rent (and any breaches of the tenancy agreement) then your potential liability would have ceased when the Tenant's liability ceased.

I agree it would have been nice if someone had told you, but perhaps that 'someone' should have been your ex partner not the agent who wouldn't have any obligation since you have no legal arrangement with them (only the Tenant does if the property is being managed by the agent). Your involvement with them would only have kicked in when/if your ex had defaulted.

At least the good news is you now know for certain that you have no further responsibility

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
      If you were guarantor for the rent (and any breaches of the tenancy agreement) then your potential liability would have ceased when the Tenant's liability ceased.

I agree it would have been nice if someone had told you, but perhaps that 'someone' should have been your ex partner not the agent who wouldn't have any obligation since you have no legal arrangement with them (only the Tenant does if the property is being managed by the agent). Your involvement with them would only have kicked in when/if your ex had defaulted.

At least the good news is you now know for certain that you have no further responsibility

Di
      Hi there, thank you for responding so quickly. It is definitely a relief to know that I have no further responsibility - I was a little annoyed that after checking with the agent that they responded with a one liner 'the tennant has vacated'
      I agree, it would have been nice to have been informed. I shall not enter into another agreement so lightly. 😬

Comment

Originally posted by Borisimo View Post
        I was a little annoyed that after checking with the agent that they responded with a one liner 'the tennant has vacated'
        I'm a stickler for good manners too, but I've never found them in an estate agent's office

It could have been worse. They could have replied with a two liner saying "the tenant has vacated leaving £20k of rent arrears and damage so the bill is in the post".

I would never guarantee someone's rent. It cost me a small fortune when my daughter was at uni!

Di

Comment

Hi Di
          Thanks for your reply.
          Dreadful manners from the managing agent, and so rude! Costs nothing does it.
          i won't be a guarantor again that's for sure.
          The original agreement was some 5 years ago, the agent has subsequently changed management and are now called something else. Would the original contract still stand? I know that the term of the contract ended and she went on to a periodic rolling monthly contract. I was never made aware of any of the changes. It's only when I started to track down the agents did I find out anything. Regards B

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X