• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Landlord trying to saddle me with 6 years' council tax, after I'd left!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord trying to saddle me with 6 years' council tax, after I'd left!

Hi all

Got a call from Islington Council yesterday, an old landlord from 10 years ago (I left the property in Dec 2006) is telling the council I am liable for over £7,000 council tax in that flat from 2006 to 2012...I've been left there 10 years!! I discovered today that the flat has been sold 3 times since I left, 3 times in the same year from 2006 to 2007...It all sounds very dodgy & I don't know how to 'prove' I left. They say I need a tenancy agreement (from 10 years ago??) to prove when & where I moved to next after this flat...My next landlord was very old then & I doubt he's still alive, even if he is I don't remember his address! I since moved again and then bought a house in 2009, where I still live, what more proof do they need? What do I do? And why do I have to provide proof I left this place in 2006, where is the landlord's 'proof' that I didn't leave??

Thanks for any advice, I'm very stressed about this.

moggery
    Tags: None

Re: Landlord trying to saddle me with 6 years' council tax, after I'd left!

Hi and welcome.

I believe Sec 34 (3) of Council Tax Administration and Enforcement Regulations applies here in part, in that outstanding tax over 6 years cannot be collected
    ") Section 127(1) of the Magistrates' Courts Act 1980(1) does not apply to such an application; but no application may be instituted in respect of a sum after the period of six years beginning with the day on which it became due under Part V. "

And presumably you can prove where you have been living since 2009.

But hang on in tere until others come along with advice [MENTION=15129]Crazy council[/MENTION]

Comment

Thank you for the advice, will see what happens.

Comment

Your driving licence bank account will be along with other proof of address good enough after all who would not change address when they move?

Comment

Hi, thanks, yes they're saying they need proof that I went to live somewhere else at that time though...I obviously haven't kept any tenancy agreements from 10 years ago so I have no proof that I left at that time... He sold it, I don't understand why he would be liable for it anyway if he sold the place straight after we left...all very confusing.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X