• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wills, executors and beneficiaries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wills, executors and beneficiaries

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me answer a few questions. My husband's aunt recently died and my husband has been told that he is one of the beneficiaries of the will. He has asked me to 'handle things' because he feels overwhelmed by trying to understand everything that is involved (his dyslexia affects his ability to understand processes, small detail and administration). No one has seen the Will (apart from the solicitor). There are, apparently, two executors - the solicitor and my husband's half-cousin, M. My husband has asked M to deal with me and keep me (on his behalf) informed on anything financial/legal relating to the Will. Her response was , "hmph, I don't know about that" and she said she only wanted to update one of the other beneficiaries (his sister) and that is who we should go to for any communication. Despite hours and hours of internet searching, I'm unable to find any answer to some of the following questions (hence why I am here!):
    • What, if any, obligations do the executors have to inform the beneficiaries about progress with dealing with the estate?
    • If necessary, can my husband legally appoint me in some way so that I can speak to the executors on his behalf?
    • Knowing M, we are concerned that she will sell the London property for much less than it's market value. Is there any way of ensuring that it is sold for market value? Or any chattels/valuables for that matter?
    • What are the Executor's rights (I'm thinking of M) with regards to chattels? E.g. who has the authority to say that we can take this vase or that sofa? Can M (who is also one of the beneficiaries) just take things for herself without discussing it with the rest of the beneficiaries?

Thank you in advance for your help. I imagine that speaking to a solicitor is always the best option, but we simply don't have the money to do so. Obviously we don't want relationships to break down, but we unfortunately don't trust M (through incompetence, rather than deceit) to do things properly and I suppose we just need to know where we stand. I hope everything I've said makes sense so far :-)

Cheers,
    JungleGirl
    Tags: None

Re: Wills, executors and beneficiaries

Hi and welcome,
    Once probate has been granted (and a copy of the will registered when probate is requested) it becomes public you can get a copy HERE
    The executors have a duty to carry out the deceased instructions and distribute the estate as instructed.
    The executors do not have to show the beneficiaries the will or provide updates unless things are being dragged out.

Comment

Re: Wills, executors and beneficiaries

Great, thanks for your reply enaid

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X