• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Private Road Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Road Help

Hi all,

I am in need of some help on getting a report on ownership on a private road, I live in Scotland.

The road is called Engine Road, the top half is owned by the council but for some weird reason the bottom have is privately owned.

Now, the council owned part of the road stops outside my house and then the private road begins.

I was under the impression that the council should own road up to my boundary at least!?

I have had to close off my driveway as the entrance was on this road and as its private it is not maintained and hence the pot holes are like craters! I have just repaired my car bumper as I went down a big one and scraped it!! not happy.

Any help would be great. I have phoned the council who have been no help I just need to know what I can do in regards of repairing it? at least to my boundary!

I can take photos of this disastrous road and upload to show the state of it!

Thanks,

Nathan
    Tags: None

Re: Private Road Help

Who owns the private road?
    If you are not part owner, but have a servitude (an easement in England) to pass across it, the burdened generally (but not always) has to maintain it in a passable condition.

If you are part owner, your deeds should detail how responsibility for maintenance is divided.

Comment

Thank you for your response.

I don't know who owns it and the council can't tell me that either. Is there a way I can check the land registry?

I thought that it should be maintained to serve. There is a property across from me that has a drive way in use and they use the road every day just to get to their property and to park in their drive.

There is nothing on my deeds that states anything about ownership or maintenance of the road.

Comment

Your search starts here: https://www.ros.gov.uk/services/ownership-search

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X