• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dvla tax help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dvla tax help!

Hi Guys,

I have a tax exempt vehicle, and when purchased I sent off the little green slip to notify them etc.
    Anyway, they obviously never received it as I was contact by a debt agency saying I have been fined for not paying tax!

I called up DVLA and was told to write a letter, which I have.
    Then I got a generic reply saying I still had to pay it, they obviously hadn't even read what I had sent!

So now I am contesting it and willing to go to court. I had a TAX EXEMPT VEHICLE and because of lost post they want to fine me for not paying tax?! it's ridiculous!

Advice would be much appreciated
    Tags: None

Re: Dvla tax help!

Are you on DLA or PIP and qualify for exemption?

Comment

The vehicle is tax exempt because of C02 emissions rather than ME specifically. But when I called up they said yes, I owed £0.00 in tax, yet have still been fined for not applying for it

:/

Comment

The offence must be failing to apply is there info on DVLA website about that

Comment

No nothing, apparently its classed as not paying tax if you don't apply for it, but I think thats so unfair! It feels like another way to get money because Im free of paying tax!

Do you think it's worth going to court over? At the end of the day, it would be:
          "has she avoided paying tax?"
          "No"
          "okay then"

Comment

Any evidence or receipt of sending the slip to the DVLA?
            If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Just looking on web about new car tax rules its down to the new owner to apply for tax whether its exempt or not change of owner slips may not be good enough another stupid rule

Comment

Nope no receipt I did it in the motor depot I bought the car from, sent it off straight after!

In that case, I will contest it, and if it goes to court pose my argument. I think it'd be worth it! How unfair otherwise...

Comment

Is the car now registered in your name ? presume it is so they received notification it changed owner they are fining you because you did not fill in a tax application form what is the fine?

Comment

Originally posted by hazeywazey View Post
                    Nope no receipt I did it in the motor depot I bought the car from, sent it off straight after!

In that case, I will contest it, and if it goes to court pose my argument. I think it'd be worth it! How unfair otherwise...
                    Can you get someone to verify this? Perhaps the person who who assisted you there? Otherwise I would suggest you start taking a look at the following two threads below, they may be of assistance. They should give you an understanding of your rights and what you can argue but if you have further questions feel free to post up.

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...highlight=dvla

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...highlight=dvla
                    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

My historic vehicles are exempt from paying for a road fund licence, but every year I have to reapply.
                      If I don't renew I need to SORN the vehicles .
                      You need a road fund licence (even if it is free)
                      It is not solely a question of cost

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X