• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Legal Proceedings against Halforlds Autocentre

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal Proceedings against Halforlds Autocentre

I had a MOT done at a Halfords auto centre. Car passed with no advisories. (Great news). Had the car serviced about a month later. All manor of problems uncovered. Including a snapped Spring which is an automatic fail.

The mechanic said due to the amount of rust (it wasn't a new problem) on further inspection we realised that the car has an automatic advisory which will be on every continuing MOT as its not fixable.

We've since discovered that Halfords in fact didn't even test the car or possibly even look at it.

I'm wanting to take them to court. I have a young family (6+4) and I'm currently pregnant with my third. They have put me in unnecessary danger and the issues could very easily have caused a fatality (mechanics words not mine)

I've contacted a couple of firms who are more than happy to take me up on this. I however don't have many funds let alone to pay out a lengthy legal battle. I'm hoping that someone can point me in the direction of either a no win no fee basis or maybe legal aid.

Thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Re: Legal Proceedings against Halforlds Autocentre

Hi and welcome
    What damages are you hoping to obtain from Halfords?
    What have you actually lost?

"We've since discovered that Halfords in fact didn't even test the car or possibly even look at it. "

How did you ascertain that?

Sorry for the questions, but other than possibly the cost of the MoT (which would have been payable even for a failure) I don't understand why you want a lengthy legal battle.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      Hi and welcome
      What damages are you hoping to obtain from Halfords?
      What have you actually lost?

"We've since discovered that Halfords in fact didn't even test the car or possibly even look at it. "

How did you ascertain that?

Sorry for the questions, but other than possibly the cost of the MoT (which would have been payable even for a failure) I don't understand why you want a lengthy legal battle.
      The advisory on the car has been on previous MOT's showing that the car wasn't looked at or that would have been seen.

It's more the fact they put me back on the road in an unsafe vehicle. It could have killed me and my family or even killed someone else. I've spoken with Citizens advice and they've reported it to trading standards on my behalf and they said its most likely a criminal matter.

Comment

Ok, but you should also report the MoT station to DVSA (https://www.gov.uk/government/public...n-about-an-mot)

The fact that a defect which was reported previously on an advisory and not yet corrected) was not reported this time, does not mean the vehicle has not been inspected.
        It could be the tester did not think it worthy of mention.
        The broken spring however is another matter.
        It should be seen, however testers are human and miss things, and it depends on the position of the break as to whether or not it was dangerous.
        Fair enough I have not seen the vehicle, but I can anticipate the testers response.

However none of this demonstrates a loss to you.
        How do you quantify your losses.. what are they .
        In other words "How much have you lost?"

Comment

Originally posted by Lealea1985 View Post
          I had a MOT done at a Halfords auto centre. Car passed with no advisories. (Great news). Had the car serviced about a month later. All manor of problems uncovered. Including a snapped Spring which is an automatic fail.

The mechanic said due to the amount of rust (it wasn't a new problem) on further inspection we realised that the car has an automatic advisory which will be on every continuing MOT as its not fixable.

We've since discovered that Halfords in fact didn't even test the car or possibly even look at it.

I'm wanting to take them to court. I have a young family (6+4) and I'm currently pregnant with my third. They have put me in unnecessary danger and the issues could very easily have caused a fatality (mechanics words not mine)

I've contacted a couple of firms who are more than happy to take me up on this. I however don't have many funds let alone to pay out a lengthy legal battle. I'm hoping that someone can point me in the direction of either a no win no fee basis or maybe legal aid.

Thanks in advance
          There are several things I do not like over this;

Broken spring ?................what spring ? suspension ?.......................car seat ?

Rust or corrosion just does not happen on high tensile steel springs in normal use, it is far more that some form of extreme temperature may have potentially caused a structural weakness subsequently resulting in a deficiency.

Why do you assume the MOT (pass) is safe way of maintaining your vehicle ?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post
            far more that some form of extreme temperature may have potentially caused a structural weakness subsequently resulting in a deficiency. ?
            ..... or hitting a sleeping policeman. Took out front spring on my MGB a couple of weeks ago

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
              ..... or hitting a sleeping policeman. Took out front spring on my MGB a couple of weeks ago
              Did the Policeman wake up Des?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X