• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

refused refund for faulty car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• refused refund for faulty car

hi. bought a Jaguar xf from a dealer on 2nd July 2016. Paid £1000. deposit the week before and the balance on a debit card along with the trade in of my Volvo (3500). Total cost almost £12000.
    The air con and heater did not work on the drive back home, but by the time i realised this i had travelled 100 miles. I called the garage within a week and they told me to call the warranty company that i bought along with the car. They told me i should take the car to my local garage for a diagnostics test. The local garage told me there were so many faults i would need to take the car to a Jaguar dealer for full diagnostics. I had to pay for both of these services. The jaguar dealer did a full diagnostics with video evidence, on 23rd July which was damming. Air con, heater, under tray loose with bolts missing, part of the air intake totally missing, engine bolts missing and loose and flapping wiring looms. They also suspected that at some stage the car had suffered 'Impact damage'. Jaguar estimated a cost of £5800 to repair the car.The Jaguar garage emailed me and the dealer a detailed list, along with the video. I immediately rejected the car and asked for a full refund. This email was ignored. i rang the dealer and he was very defensive and rude.
    I wrote to them a formal letter explaining my consumer rights and my reasons for rejecting the car within the 30 day period of the purchase and asked for a full refund.
    They said they would pick up the car at their expense as they needed to inspect it themselves. This they did on 6th August 2016 from the Jaguar dealer where it had been for the last 2 weeks. ( Jaguar advised me not to drive it as there was a red warning light and the engine management light on ). They had it for just over a week, and have now written to to me to say they have repaired the car and it is now 'merchantable'. They insist i pick it up and have refused me a full refund. They say if i still dont want the car they will buy it back at trade price and not for what i paid for it.
    I wish to proceed with court action but as the amount is over £10,000, can i go through the county court? My other question is should i refuse to accept the car back on the grounds i have rejected it and accepting it back could go against me. They have also' repaired' the car without my permission, they said they wanted to assess it. Not repair it I do not want to accept the car back. I do not trust that they have repaired it properly. HELP!
    Tags: None

Re: refused refund for faulty car

You can still go to court if the claim balance is over #10,000.00. You will need to send a letter before action to place them on notice, especially if you're suing for an amount over #10,000.00.

In excercising your short term right to reject, you're treating the contract at an end. To go and pick the car up would go againstthat, so I would suggest you leave it. As far as you're concerned, the car is no longer yours.

Comment

Re: refused refund for faulty car

thank you. I just want to make sure i do everything right. They seem to be trying to make me accept the car back and i feel that this may constitute an acceptance on my part.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X