• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ Set-aside 18 Months After Default Judgement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ Set-aside 18 Months After Default Judgement?

In early 2015 I was looking for work and I received two job offers almost simultaneously.

I accepted the second job as it was better pay and conditions and they worked really hard to get me on board, but prior to this I had said (in an email) that I would “see you on <insert start date here>” to the boss for the first job because he was pushing me to accept his job offer.

The second job required some strict vetting, so I decided to not refuse the first job until I was 100% certain of the second. That didn’t actually happen until the day of the start date of the first job.
    So I started the second job and wrote an email to the first, apologising and saying that I had taken up another offer.

A few weeks later, the first employer invoiced me (about £500) for “wasted time”. He cited that because I had written that I would see him on <insert start date here>, that actually constituted a legal and binding contract of employment. I had clearly upset him though I felt I had been put between a rock and a hard place because I couldn’t refuse his offer until the vetting had completed successfully on the second job.

I didn’t agree with his invoice (people decide to go for other jobs all the time!) and so I refused to pay. He then took me to court.

I intended defended the claim, sending in all the initial paperwork saying so, but because I was horribly busy, combined with having a written-off car causing me six hour a day commutes by bus, I (just) failed to get the second set of defence documents in to defend the claim. I actually had them prepared but didn’t send them in.

So in the end he got a default judgement. I actually didn’t think I could do anything about that and that the CCJ would have to sit on my file for years.

But I have recently discovered that I could get the default judgement set aside. and the case would be allowed to continue. I am trying to get finance on a new home now and the CCJ has become an issue.

I wrote to the offeror of the first job and offered part payment if he doesn’t re-contest the case and he has agreed to that.

My concern is that I have left it quite a long time now - about eighteen months from the date of the default judgement - and I have read that I need to re-apply “quickly and have a good reason to resume the case”?
    I am worried that “overwork” is not a valid reason to have the default judgement set aside? I was on six hour a day commutes and concerned for my position in my new job and missed completing the documents by just a day.

If a judge does agree to the set-aside, it will not be re-contested. Should I mention that on my initial form or should it be kept private between the petitioner and myself?

So my questions are: is it still possible to get this default judgement set aside over a year after the default judgement? What should I put on the N244 form to explain why the paperwork wasn’t completed in time and should I mention (or not) the fact that it will not be re-contested?

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your help.
    Tags: None

Re: CCJ Set-aside 18 Months After Default Judgement?

Have you considered asking him if he's willing to consent to a set aside and then discontinue the claim if you pay him?

From what you say he's agreed in principle to do a deal with you.

Di

Comment

Re: CCJ Set-aside 18 Months After Default Judgement?

Hi, Diana M, thanks for replying.

Originally posted by Diana M View Post

From what you say he's agreed in principle to do a deal with you.

Di
      Yes he has agreed that he won't contest after I make a part payment of the amount.

What I am concerned about is actually getting the set aside. As far as I know (and I certainly don't know very much) the judge will need a good reason to do the set-aside in the first place. I don't know what is an acceptable reason for a set aside.

I certainly believe I had a valid defence based on one casual comment in an email (that isn't a job acceptance) not being an full employment contract and the fact that I never agreed any charges or fees with the gentleman. So I believe I should have been allowed to defend my case. But I am unsure about how long I can wait to apply for a set aside and what the acceptable reasons are.

I am also unsure if I need to mention the agreement I now have with the petitioner to the judge, or on the form?

If I can get a set aside from the judge, then it should stop there and even if it doesnt, I think I have a valid case anyway.

Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X