• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Landlord served notice but not allowing me to move out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord served notice but not allowing me to move out

Hi:
    I am living in a rented flat at Hounslow for last 18 months. My landlord called me and asked me vacate the flat (as he needs the flat for his own purpose). He dropped me an email too giving two months notice.
    I searched for another property and found one which is available immediately. I told my owner that I can move out in one week. He said it will be a problem for him as he want to move back in two months and he will not have any rent coming for more than 1.5 months. He said he is OK if it few days earlier , but not that early.
    I agreed and looked for another one which is coming available in 1.5 months. I told my owner. He is now saying he cannot allow even two weeks early. Even if I move out, I have to pay rent for full two months.
    I am very much worried. How can I find a propoerty exactly matching to his date. And I cant pay rent at both places. Can anyone suggest what exactly does the UK rules say in this regard.
    For context – My original Short term assured tenancy ended after one year in March16. Owner had me sign new contract in March for one year which lasts till March17. In the last 18 months, every month I paid the rent through direct deposit exactly on the 1st of every month.

I live in the apartment with my wife and Son (8 year old)
    Tags: None

Re: Landlord served notice but not allowing me to move out

[MENTION=15129]Crazy council[/MENTION]; [MENTION=49370]Kati[/MENTION]

Comment

Provided you're up to date with rent, it's going to be difficult for your LL to gain possession of the property (under section 8 of the Housing Act 1988, as it seems you're still in the fixed term).

I'd sit tight; the granting of a new tenancy kills the notice given for possession (provided that was valid in the first place).

Comment

Hi
        While I agree with CLL , what was the reason given for the LL wanted you to move out , I know he said he wanted the flat for himself but did he serve, for example a S21 notice?
        [MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION] might be able to give some help

Comment

Originally posted by Sekhar View Post
          My original Short term assured tenancy ended after one year in March16. Owner had me sign new contract in March for one year which lasts till March17.
          From what you have said you currently have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement which doesn't expire until March 2017.

If that is the case then your Landlord cannot lawfully get you or your family out of the property before that date unless you fail you to pay the rent for at least 2 months (assuming your rent is paid monthly).

Don't let your Landlord bully you into anything different.

Did you pay a deposit for this rental and is that deposit registered in a Government backed scheme?

Di
          Last edited by Diana M; 19th August 2016, 21:16:PM. Reason: typo

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X