• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax rules on visitors ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax rules on visitors ?

I have reduction on council tax for single person living here. Son visits me two or maybe three times a week He wont tell me where he is staying Council want to know. They have been advised on two separate occasions of my circumstances. Whats my options now
    Last edited by Eos999; 14th July 2016, 12:19:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Council tax rules on visitors ?

Hi Eos99

I assume that you are saying that you currently claim the single person discount of 25% as you are declaring that you live on your own? You state that your son visits you two or three times a week and the council want to know where he is staying.

How did this become an issue with the council? Was it through an initiative run by a third party checker such a Capita?

IF your son is 'staying' elsewhere then your address cannot be regarded as his primary residence and 'visitors' cannot be regarded as qualifying adults if they live elsewhere. I assume that he is over 18 as otherwise he is disregarded. Are you claiming any housing benefit or council tax support ? If for some reason the council have identified your son as being another adult at your address, they must have reason to do so. You can claim the discount by signing the declaration but if you claim it and you are not a sole adult resident, the council regard it as theft of public money, so it is important to verify your status.

Why won't your son give you his address?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X