• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Amending Defendant's name and address After Judgement!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Amending Defendant's name and address After Judgement!

@wales01man I'm also taking him to be questioned but need the name to be corrected first. I'm not aware if he has any other aliases.
    @R0b what does it mean in plain English? does it mean I should submit the N244 form to make the amendments as a Creditor?

@nemesis45 yes I think it's safer to do so - I've contacted the court to ask them also.

Comment

In plain English, it means as I interpret it, when you make an application to issue a writ of control, as part of the application you include a Witness Statement that the name and address of the debtor on the original judgment is different to the name/address you are wanting to enforce the Writ. You then go on to explain that the debtor has changed their name and address to avoid liability, evidenced by the trace report you have and that you wish to enforce the judgment against the name of the debtor at that address.

The Court Officer who issues the writ will consider your evidence and determine if the name of the debtor on the judgment is the same as the person you wish to enforce and if granted, will word the writ accordingly as above.

The other and safest option as pointed out is to vary the order which will set you back in terms of enforcement.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION], it makes sense.

The only problem is that the Writ of Control is for Bailiff only. If I'd like to apply for Order to Obtain Information then again it becomes complicated because his new name is not on the judgement so I'll have to provide another witness statement as you mentioned, not sure....Or if I want to seek other enforcement methods it becomes more complicated.

I've got few remaining questions on the N244 form:
        1)
        It asks for Name of the Court; I'd guess it's the local county court rather than the MCOL court?

2)
        Have you attached a draft of the order you're applying for?
        What is a draft of order like? is it another form?

3)
        What level of judge does your hearing need?

Comment

I realized there is a risk that the judge wants to have a hearing if I send the N244 form:

"A Court can deal with an application without a hearing if the parties agree to the terms of the Order sought, or if the parties agree that a hearing is not necessary or the Court takes the view that a hearing would be appropriate.
          Where the Applicant requests that the application be dealt with without a hearing the Court may still list the matter for a hearing if it considers a hearing to be necessary."

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hm...-notes-eng.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Will2050 View Post
            Thanks @R0b, it makes sense.

The only problem is that the Writ of Control is for Bailiff only. If I'd like to apply for Order to Obtain Information then again it becomes complicated because his new name is not on the judgement so I'll have to provide another witness statement as you mentioned, not sure....Or if I want to seek other enforcement methods it becomes more complicated.

I've got few remaining questions on the N244 form:
            1)
            It asks for Name of the Court; I'd guess it's the local county court rather than the MCOL court?

2)
            Have you attached a draft of the order you're applying for?
            What is a draft of order like? is it another form?

3)
            What level of judge does your hearing need?
            1. The Court that heard your claim, in the order you are seeking you are best off referencing the Claim Number so they can locate the claim and documents.

2. A draft order is an order of what you are seeking e.g. the name change or alias of the defendant. An example here http://image.slidesharecdn.com/65e90...?cb=1443607045

3. District Judge

By the way, I referenced CPR 83.10 previous but that relates to writs of control for High Court enforcement and not County Court. The same position applies in CPR 83.18 and having looked at the White Book (an annotated bible of the CPR) it says the following.

"Effect of the Rule"
            Although only concerned with writs, this provision has its origins in the County Court.
            It enables the creditor to satisfy the court that the address and/or name of either itself or the debtor is/are different from that in the judgment or order, but that enforcement should proceed nonetheless.

"Satisfies the Court Officer"
            Note that the rule specifically requires the court officer to be satisfied based on the evidence in a witness statement or affidavit. It does not appear that a formal application notice in Form N244 is necessary.
            It would therefore seem that for the same cost of an N244 without hearing application you could make an application for warrant of control and simply provide an Affidavit or Witness Statement request that the judgment should be enforced against the new name of the defendant with evidence. An N244 application does not seem necessary.

I have no knowledge of making applications of warrants of control but I can't imagine it being too difficult. Of course you can go the N244 route and as you say the judge could order a hearing for further information which might alert the defendant.
            Last edited by R0b; 12th July 2016, 23:16:PM.
            If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks yes. the Bailiff will apply for Writ of Control and I can probably write for them a Witness Statement.

Warrant of Control is for small amounts under £5k I think and doesn't involve high court. Writ of control is the same thing but for larger amounts and involve the High Court:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...orised-to-act/

So it seems I have 2 options 1) Going to the N244 route 2) Going ahead with High Court Enforcement and provide them a Witness Statement so that when they apply for Writ of Control they get the enforcement authority for both names "Alex...(Ali ....)"

So next action is to discuss with the HCEO... regarding Witness Statement

Comment

Are you sure the fee is £100? to amend the defendant's name on the judgement after the judgement issued.

Any link I can check online?

Comment

check here:https://www.gov.uk/government/public...vil-court-fees

I think Section 5 applicable if using N244
                  By consent or without notice where no other fee is specified £100

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X