• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Scaffolding erected on neighbour's property for 1 year with no work undertaken.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scaffolding erected on neighbour's property for 1 year with no work undertaken.

Hello All,

First Post. Had a search for any similar topics, but this is a fairly unique situation!

At the beginning of last summer i came home after work to find that a set of scaffolding been erected on the front of my neighbours property. The property is a semi detached maisonette. One flat is owned by a private landlord the other by metropolitan housing (private housing association). Neither tenant had been made aware of any work being carried out.

Fast forward to over a year later and the scaffolding is still up with no sign of ANY work being undertaken. The tenants don't seem to be too bothered by it but the rest of the street have had enough of looking at it and are investigating options to get it removed.

The scaffolding does not intrude onto my property or on to the pavement. There is nothing on the scaffolding itself to indicate who it belongs to or who erected it. The scaffolding itself has been secured by anchor it into the brickwork of the property itself. Is this normal?

The private landlord has denied all knowledge and said it must be down to the housing association. Metropolitan have been typically difficult to pin down and after 6 months of persistent contact sent an "inspector" yesterday who advised that the erection was safe but the scaffolding did not belong to Metropolitan and they would not remove it unless they had written instruction to do so by the owner of said scaffolding.

So we find ourselves in a fairly unique situation where no one will admit to being responsible for this scaffolding, but someone has put it up and must be missing it!

My first thoughts were that it must belong to the housing association as they would be more likely to "misplace" resources without noticing. I'm under the impression that scaffolding isn't cheap and if someone is being invoiced for it then it will have cost them a fair penny over the last 12 months.

I not really sure where to take this now. We are looking to sell our property next summer and i would like to get the situation resolved before then. I am contemplating arranging removal of the scaffolding myself if i can find a company that will do it, but don't know where i stand with that? Can we post notice of our intent to remove it and then do so after a set timescale?

Picture of said scaffolding below:

Thanks for your answers in advance.

EDIT: I've just realised that i've posted this on the "welcome" board, would a mod care to move it if necessary?
    Last edited by mouse78; 7th July 2016, 13:30:PM. Reason: Wrong board
    Tags: None

Re: Scaffolding erected on neighbour's property for 1 year with no work undertaken.

Hi and welcome.

Although you may wish to see the back of this erection, IMO it would be a serious error of judgement to arrange for its dismantling without authority of the owners.
    You could find yourself in all sorts of problems from trespass to being a bailee and responsible for the safe keeping of the materials (and even for the cost of re erection)
    That is if you could even find a qualified gang prepared to dismantle another team's gear!

You say it has been up for over 12 months, but no one seems to know anything about it.
    Scaffolding has to be inspected every 7 days to ensure it is safe.
    If no one has been around to carry out such inspections how do they know it is safe, especially as it is alongside the public footpath.
    A letter to your local council, raising your concerns regarding the lack of inspection, might generate some action from them or HSE, and lead to its removal or use.

Comment

Re: Scaffolding erected on neighbour's property for 1 year with no work undertaken.

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      Hi and welcome.

Although you may wish to see the back of this erection, IMO it would be a serious error of judgement to arrange for its dismantling without authority of the owners.
      You could find yourself in all sorts of problems from trespass to being a bailee and responsible for the safe keeping of the materials (and even for the cost of re erection)
      That is if you could even find a qualified gang prepared to dismantle another team's gear!

You say it has been up for over 12 months, but no one seems to know anything about it.
      Scaffolding has to be inspected every 7 days to ensure it is safe.
      If no one has been around to carry out such inspections how do they know it is safe, especially as it is alongside the public footpath.
      A letter to your local council, raising your concerns regarding the lack of inspection, might generate some action from them or HSE, and lead to its removal or use.
      Hi, Thanks for the response.

Yes, i reluctantly agree that trying to arrange for its removal myself is probably not the best idea. The suggestion is born from frustration and the lack of action from the parties responsible for the property. The scaffolding itself is safe, as i say its fixed to the wall with huge anchor bolts. But it's interesting that you say it must be inspected every week.

I will make the contacting the council my next course of action.

Thanks again.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X