• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Electricity Supply and error in Economy 7 Metering ....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electricity Supply and error in Economy 7 Metering ....

I wonder if anyone could please give opinion on this and whether any case law or regulations exist that would apply to this situation.

I have been asked about a block of residential apartments where all of the electricity meters ( there are in excess of 60 flats ) read day and night readings as usual to reflect Economy 7 usage, i.e. day and night rates, the day rates being labelled reading 1 and the night rates being labelled 2 as you would expect. ON checking all of the meters, they all reflect reading 1's that are some three times ( on average ) the night rate 2 and again this is in line with what you would expect.

It seems that some residents are being charged the reading 1 as the night rate and reading 2 as the day rate ( all with the same company ) and even though this has been reported to the company concerned, the reply ( that has come back to more than one person ) is that is to be expected i.e. higher night rate, where storage heating is present. There is no storage heating in the block concerned, nor is there any gas. However, many residents cannot agree if indeed their is a problem.

My question is if this is found to be in error, which incidentally would be 100% on behalf of the electricity charging company, do they have a right to recharge starting from the inception of all the accounts or is there a 'one year rule' that I have read about whereby recharging can only go back on year from the date the potential error was detected?

I remember when I worked in council tax enforcement, if I made a call and discovered new residents in occupation, often after several years without a council tax charge being raised, I would advise them that they had a statutory liability to inform the local authority of their presence and hence we would raise a bill from the date they moved in. However, I am sure that in latter years that changed, possibly due to case law, whereby the council was criticised that they themselves had an obligation to ensure all taxation records were up to date ( difficult to do when the public simply fail to advise of movements in and out ) and hence the local authority could only commence the account on the 1st April of the current tax year or the date of actual occupation if that fell later.

All advice and referral links welcome. Cheers guys ...
    Tags: None

Re: Electricity Supply and error in Economy 7 Metering ....

If the supplier is one of Scottish Power: British Gas. Eon. N Power or EDF they have signed up to a Code of Practice (http://www.energy-uk.org.uk/publicat...wnload&id=4991).
    Section 5 states: "If your supplier is at fault and has not sent you an accurate billthat they should have sent you, they will not ask you to pay anyextra for energy you used (and which you did not receive anaccurate bill for) more than one year before they issued the bill."

And OFGEM Back Billing principle is here: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/defau...let-2012_0.pdf

Comment

Re: Electricity Supply and error in Economy 7 Metering ....

Hi des8 and thank you for that concise information! Yes, the supplier is British Gas and I suspect that most residents are being charged likewise although it is very unclear to everyone.

Thanks again for that informative response
      :goodjob:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X