• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is there a statute of limitations on personal injury claims?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a statute of limitations on personal injury claims?

I don't know if you can help answer my question, but if you can I would be grateful if you could.

In August 2013 my car was hit by a cyclist who destroyed the wing mirror but nothing else he had a bloody nose but nothing worse. The insurance company has heard nothing from the cyclist so far but my company (it's a company car) have withheld my £500.00 excess. I heard but wanted to check is there a statute of limitations on a possible claim by the cyclist against me and if so how long until I get my £500.00 pound back! (it was his fault)

Thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Re: Is there a statute of limitations on personal injury claims?

Three years

Comment

hi all

Comment

i am looking for cash advance on personal injury compensation can any one tell me how can i get advance cash i have already send my claim details on following sites but these solicitors are not reply me...

cash advance solicitors
        Last edited by enaid; 3rd June 2016, 04:16:AM. Reason: link removed

Comment

Thanks that's what I heard, that's on the cyclist claiming from me for his bloody nose.... what about me on the £500.00 excess retained by my firm? do I have to start proceedings against them with in that time limit? (it's their insurance)

Regards

Comment

Not knowing what your contract says about this retention of the excess makes it a trifle difficult to comment.
            However it would seem fair that if you have agreed to the retention it should only be held whilst there is a legal window in which that claim which prompted the retention can be made.
            In other words, in this case when three years after the incident have expired that retention (plus interest?) should be returned to you.

Comment

Thanks Des8, the retention is money collected over a number of weeks, held by the company as the 'insurance excess' over any claim that you might as a driver have against you. in this case over twenty weeks they collected £500.00 at £25.00 per week. now obviously I knew all about the incident and filled in an accident form at the police station, and the insurance company forms as well, they took the money pending the outcome of any claim arising. However they haven't, even when asked, provided me with any information as to the situation of the case or if indeed they have heard anything from the cyclist since the incident.

They would have no legal reason to hold onto the excess if there is no claim after the three year limit, and of course it is my money. so what i'm trying to ascertain is do I have to start a claim against my company before this anniversary or lose any chance to sue them for the return of my money in future?
              What is worrying me is the fact that they are not providing me with any answers to my e-mailed questions. there is now less than two months to go before the anniversary arrives.

Regards

Dan

Comment

My reaction is to wait until the three years is up, and then obtain written confirmation from the insurance company that no claim had been received from the cyclist.
                You should be entitled to this info, as it is something you would have to declare to future motor insurers.
                When you have that info you could then request return of your money from your employer.
                You would have 6 years in which to initiate court action, if that became necessary!

Comment

ok that's the piece of info I was after, 6 years not 3!
                  as I have no imminent deadline I will do exactly that.

thanks

Comment

Your 6 years commences on the day the money is due to be returned to you

Comment

Ooops!

Sorry, wrong thread
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                      gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X