• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Letter before Action - Mediation - Small Claim Court?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter before Action - Mediation - Small Claim Court?

@Kati, [MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION]
    I'm about to draft a letter before action (LBA) in an attempt to recover a large sum (£17.5K) from someone who offered to buy a VAT Law Case and my Company + Web address off me in October 2015. They have paid half (£17.5K) but constantly give excuses not to pay the balance - one excuse is they wish to do due dilligence on my very small company - the company and web address are worth very little on their own. I gave him an ultimatum 10 days ago asking for payment by tomorrow - I've not had a reply.
    On my LBA I'm agreeing to mediation, before going to court. Who does the mediation? Likely cost?
    I gave the person the option to pay an additional £5K for the one element he already has - the most important part to him, which is a valuable and extremely hard to find VAT case which 'could' give him VAT exemption; he is operating VAT exempt without authorisation and it would likely cost him in excess of £3M in back VAT and fines and possibly £6M. Have I ruined my case by giving him the option to settle for £5K? Should I just go after the £5K and forget the remaining £12.5K?
    The original verbal agreement, backed up in writing, was for £35K for just the VAT case but I felt it would help him to have my company name; no separate value was put on the company and web address.
    I'm assuming that as the debt is under £20K, it still falls under the small claims regime? Or do they take the whole agreement into account? He paid the £17.5K online before I handed over the Court case and it was non-refundable.
    It should be noted he paid a top London Law/Tax firm £20K trying to discover how I operated VAT free but they couldn't find the answer or the Law case I used to win my VAT case - there is no record of my VAT case as it was settled out of Court.
    Any help gratefully received.
    Wingco
    Tags: None

Re: Letter before Action - Mediation - Small Claim Court?

Unfortunately small claims court upper limit is £10,000

Comment

Re: Letter before Action - Mediation - Small Claim Court?

Originally posted by ostell View Post
      Unfortunately small claims court upper limit is £10,000
      Costs increase as the amount of the claim rises as well.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X