• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Counterclaim for Misrepresentation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counterclaim for Misrepresentation

Builder is taking me to court. Can I counterclaim for Misrepresentation as his website states FENSA registered but isn't and now no guarantees for the windows
    Tags: None

Re: Counterclaim for Misrepresentation

Probably not.

You'd need more than just a statement on his website. You would have to show to the court that something he said, did or put into writing induced you into entering into a contract that you would otherwise not have.

If you ever come to sell your property, the purchaser's solicitors will ask for evidence that any replacement glazing installed since April 2002 complies with the Building Regulations. This is where your counter-claim should start.

You should counter-claim for either the cost of windows that do comply or the cost of making the current windows compliant.

Comment

It might be a good idea to contact FENSA.

http://www.fensa.org.uk/rogueTraders.aspx

Rogue Traders Prosecutions

To advertise as a FENSA registered company when a company is not is a criminal offence under the Trade Marks Act 1994 and Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.
      Under the Trade Marks Act 1994 traders must not have unauthorised use of a registered trade mark. Companies who are not registered with FENSA are not permitted to use the FENSA logo from their website, any company paperwork, stationery and advertising.
      Under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, traders must not mislead a consumer or a business that they are registered with when they are not, thereby causing them to make a transactional decision that they would not otherwise have made. It is an offence to supply goods or services which are falsely described.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Building control can check the windows and installation bet yer Fensa will do stuff all

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
          Building control can check the windows and installation bet yer Fensa will do stuff all
          thank you the windows have been approved by Building control so I guess just no guarantee although assumed they were covered by FENSA

If the claim is over £10,000 by a few hundred would you still need a solicitor to be involved to defend

Comment

What are you claiming for? are you sure the Builder has the ability to pay if you get a CCJ

Comment

thank you the windows have been approved by Building control so I guess just no guarantee although assumed they were covered by FENSA
              Obviously, if you have had to get Building Control in to approve the windows because the Builder has let you down then I would expect any costs incurred would be included in your counter-claim?

Also, FENSA say that 'Registered Businesses' must give a 10 year warranty. You could potentially have a claim for the cost of obtaining a guarantee, or the depreciation in value of the property if no guarantee can be provided to subsequent purchasers. However, that could be difficult. You would have to prove that there was a misrepresentation, a breach of contract or a breach of an implied obligation to provide a 10 year warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by bentls00 View Post

If the claim is over £10,000 by a few hundred would you still need a solicitor to be involved to defend
                Case management decides on the allocation to track.

If it's not too complex (& esp if both sides are agreeable), there would be no harm in asking.
                CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X