• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Incorrect CCJ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incorrect CCJ

Hi all not sure if iam asking this in the right place?
    I have recently decided to apply for a mortgage so decided to get a copy of my credit report.
    I was shocked to see i had a CCJ which after enquiring is from United Utilities.
    I spoke to the county court which issued it and they told me the debt had now been written off but i still have the CCJ.
    I phoned up United Utilities and the debt is from a rented property during a period i wasn't even tenant.
    They told me it was put in my name after they made a home visit to the address.
    What i think has happened is there has been a letter delivered to the address in my name and the tenant at the time has just copied my details.
    United Utilities have told me to email them a copy of a council tax bill or tenancy that confirm the dates i was at the property and they would then look into it.
    Could anyone tell me if a home visit was made would the person/tenant not need ID to put the account into their name? They couldn't have possibly done this, also my name is spelt wrong and my date of birth has been given incorrectly on the account which iam not sure strengthens my case?
    It's more a matter of principle that i now have to take a day off work and try and get hold off a copy of an old tenancy (which iam not sure i will be able to) and council tax bill when i have done nothing wrong.
    I feel the mistake is theirs and they shouldn't just sign people up for accounts on their doorstep without ID, you could give anyones details.

Should i be more firm with them and threaten legal action or have i not a leg to stand on?

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Incorrect CCJ

Hi tangerine1977 & welcome to Legal Beagles

How old is the CCJ?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and reply.

The CCJ was issued in December 2013, i thought about just waiting it out but still have another 3 years. I never realised how much of an impact it would have on day to day life. I have just started working for myself (plumber) and can't even get a trade account. Just so annoyed when i have always kept what credit i have in good order and someone else can ruin my credit score by giving my details (the wrong ones at that). I just think United Utilities policy of opening accounts on peoples doorsteps and taking their word for ID is wrong, especially with rented accommodation.

Sorry about the rant.

Comment

Have you proof that you did not incur the alleged debt?
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

I can probably get hold of a council tax bill or similar i think? The problem is the actual unpaid bill in question is from 2011 and I dont keep stuff that long. Iam just kind of hoping they have done something legally wrong with the sign up of the account (no id shown, wrong spelling of my name and wrong date of birth) and admit responsibility saving me hassle.

Comment

How much is the alleged debt?
            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

£435 but has actually been written off. They have told me they are not seeking payment but I still have a CCJ.

Comment

If you've only just become aware of this, & it is incorrect, I believe you could apply to your court (if it was allocated to there) via an N244 form for the judgment to be set aside.

If you are unsure how to do this, the court staff will help with filling out the form (though they won't give legal advice)

If you are low income, you might be eligible to a fee remission. Again, the court staff can advise you.
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Sorry for the bump of an old thread. I have finally been able to get a letter of the letting agency to confirm I didn't live at the address at the time the bill was put in my name. The reason it took so long is I work full time and they wouldn't send by post as they required id to issue me a copy so I had to go in person. I had to take a day off work as the letting agency is in another town and had to pay £30 admin costs for the letter! I thought the admin costs were a bit high but a small price to pay to get this CCJ removed. I have passed these on to United Utilities who have said they will investigate and send a letter to the courts if the investigation goes in my favour.

Should I be seeking compensation of United Utilities as a loan I took out for my business has had to be a high interest one because no one else would touch me because of this CCJ! I will end up paying thousands in interst instead of hundreds, even my credit card is high interest!

I think they should show some responsibility for their policy of signing people up on door steps with no id even required. It's not right.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X