• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

mortimer clarke and Cabot - need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mortimer clarke and Cabot - need help

Hello, So I received a letter from mortimer clarke stating that they had taken on a debt from Cabot and intend to follow CCJ if no agreement can be made. I have no record of this debt, so sent the statute barred letter you have on here asking for the evidence of acknowledgement or payment.

Today I received a letter stating that a payement was made on the 11/06/2010. I have checked my account statements and have no record of a payement on that date nore any around it.

Surely a date is not evidence?

They have asked is I disagree please set out precise legal basis giving the date in which I believe it became statute barred, or withdraw and pay.

Is it their responsibility to prove it is??

I have the CCA letter ready for sending but not sure if this is the write course.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: mortimer clarke and Cabot - need help

I just wanted to add, in their response they have also stated Section 29(5) of the limitations Act 1980

"...where any right of action has accrued to recover...any debt or other liquidated pecuniary claim...and the person liable or accountable for the claim acknowledges the claim or makes payment in respect of it the right shall be treated as having accrued on and not before the date of the acknowledgement or payment"

Comment

Originally posted by becci134 View Post
      Hello, So I received a letter from mortimer clarke stating that they had taken on a debt from Cabot and intend to follow CCJ if no agreement can be made. I have no record of this debt, so sent the statute barred letter you have on here asking for the evidence of acknowledgement or payment.

Today I received a letter stating that a payement was made on the 11/06/2010. I have checked my account statements and have no record of a payement on that date nore any around it.

Surely a date is not evidence?

They have asked is I disagree please set out precise legal basis giving the date in which I believe it became statute barred, or withdraw and pay.

Is it their responsibility to prove it is??

I have the CCA letter ready for sending but not sure if this is the write course.

Thanks
      Good evening,

Cabot has instructed it's solicitors Mortimer Clarke to
      What type of account was this and who was the original creditor?

A CCA request is appropriate only for Agreements Regulated by The Consumer Credit Act 1974 ( as amended).
      It does not apply to " service contracts" such as mobile phone contracts and utility bill.
      It is not applicable to bank current accounts and over drafts.

No a date is not sufficient do they say how much the payment was?

I would reply along the lines of:

Sir/ Madam,

I refer to your letter dated .........................: in response to my letter informing you that the alleged debt now owned by
      your client is statute barred, your response alleging that a payment was made on date............. is insufficient to prove
      any such payment was made and is rejected.

I am sure both Mortimer Clarke and its client ( joke really MC's parent company) are fully aware that the onus of providing
      unequivocal proof that any such alleged payment was made by me personally falls entirely upon your client.

Having carefully checked my banking history I can confirm no such payment was made on after of before the date alleged.

I therefore reiterate my statement the alleged debt is statute barred and should Cabot issue a claim it will be robustly defended.

amend to suit, if you use this send by signed for post and check delivery.
      nem

Comment

Hello, They originally said it was a capital one credit card, for which they provided a card number. I had one of these about 12 years ago, and would have stopped using not long after that maybe 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by becci134 View Post
          Hello, They originally said it was a capital one credit card, for which they provided a card number. I had one of these about 12 years ago, and would have stopped using not long after that maybe 2 years.

Hello Becci is this debt showing on your credit files. you can check Noddle Free Online.

So we are looking at an account opened approx. 2004 defaulted possibly 2006?

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X