• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help Would Be Much Appreciated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help Would Be Much Appreciated

Originally posted by oconelec View Post
    Thank you.

Mystery1, have you heard of section127 (3) of the consumer credit act, would this be of any good to me as the credit card agreement was from the year 2000.
    Yes and maybe.

Can you remember signing up for the card ? How, when, what etc ? Have a copy of the paperwork filed away somewhere ?

M1

Comment

Evening Mystery1.

Again thanks for the reply.

As far as i can recollect, the card was applied for online, at the moment i cant find the consumer credit agreement for this but it was opened in 2000 a card by Halifax, funnily enough i have every monthly statement for this card from the year 2000, but i will need to dig deeper to see if i can find the agreement.

Comment

Mystery1.

Thanks, by you asking if i had any paper work in regards to this Halifax account ive just realised i had been also paying PPI from 2000 on this card, im wondering if i can claim this back or if it's too late.

Comment

Do you recall ever signing anything and sending it back ? What it was if you did ?

M1

Comment

Thanks mystery1.

No i can not remember if i signed any document at the time, i have problems remembering what ive done 16 months ago never mind 16 years ago.

Comment

mystery1.

would the onus be on me to prove i did not sign an agreement 16 years ago.

Comment

It depends.

If they say you would have as that's the system blah blah blah then yes you would. Whilst in response you could say i didn't. It then comes down to who is believable. Obviously the better your recollection the more chance you are the one believed.

At that time you could not sign electronically and absent a signature they have an issue.

M1

Comment

That's all very interesting, but strange that it would come down to really a toss of the coin whom should be believed.

It sounds as though these company's such as Cabot could find it difficult to prove an agreement exists if the credit card was taken out prior 2006.

- - - Updated - - -

I am also under the impression that if the case is found unenforceable because its an agreement prior to 2006 and the agreement can not be substantiated then it would become unenforceable for ever.

Comment

It sounds as though these company's such as Cabot could find it difficult to prove an agreement exists if the credit card was taken out prior 2006.
                    Not really. There will be statements etc. They will find it hard if the defendant has good evidence (a great recollection of it or even better paperwork) of non compliance with statute.

I am also under the impression that if the case is found unenforceable because its an agreement prior to 2006 and the agreement can not be substantiated then it would become unenforceable for ever.
                    Aside a successful appeal, yes. Don't forget that in Scotland a debt prescribes after 5 years of inactivity following the creditor having a right of action which is different to those south of the border. Ideally though, you'd want a declaration of unenforceability under cca s142.

M1

Comment

Hi mystery1.

I just noticed that the credit card account was not initially opened with Halifax but with Bank1One, which the Halifax bought over in the year 2000, the year i took out the card. What are the chances they could ever recover a signed agreement from then & from Bank1one.

Comment

Pretty low i'd think. A s78 copy doesn't need it though.

M1

Comment

When there on Thursday i'd advise you to watch the debate and the other CFUK pre proof hearing as well as the other lending ones if possible.

If you get the chance, ask if CFUK are licensed. They're not but it may not matter if they have an agreement to use someone elses.

M1

Comment

mystery1.

I have just noticed on the writ that they are down as Cabot Financial (UK) Ltd, as far as i can make out, they now operate as Cabot Financial Marlin Ltd or Europe, so are Cabot Financial Uk Ltd actually licensed?.

Comment

On a side note.

Say that Cabot do come up with some CCA agreement with the Halifax heading what ever, surely this would be wrong to claim as an agreement as the account was actually opened with Bank1one, so would the agreement not have to show Bank1one?.

Comment

mystery1.

I have just noticed on the writ that they are down as Cabot Financial (UK) Ltd, as far as i can make out, they now operate as Cabot Financial Marlin Ltd or Europe, so are Cabot Financial Uk Ltd actually licensed?.

They are not but are allowed to have an agreement to use someone elses.

On a side note.

Say that Cabot do come up with some CCA agreement with the Halifax heading what ever, surely this would be wrong to claim as an agreement as the account was actually opened with Bank1one, so would the agreement not have to show Bank1one?.

The heading is almost unimportant, however the parties to the agreement MUST be correct.

M1

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X