• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hello and advice needed on Small Claims Court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello and advice needed on Small Claims Court

Good morning all, I am considering taking someone to Small Claims Court. It is for a sum of between 5 and 6000 pounds (I need to work it out.). Is there a particular forum to post in? I have done a large amount of research and have actually confused myself more!

The money I am trying to recover was money I lent to a friend over a period of time. They have never disputed the debt and have made some repayments. It is slightly complicated by the police being involved as the money was borrowed fraudulently- the person is likely to lose their job as a result.

Basically what I am trying to decide is if I can do it myself? And how much is it likely to cost me - how low can I keep the costs? I don't think the person has a valid defence to actually owing me the money I have a large amount of evidence to show the money is owed.

I am fully aware that the person may not be able to pay me any money back and may in fact declare themselves bankrupt if they lose their job. From a monetary point of view it makes little sense to spend more money on this when I there is a very real possibility of not recovering any money. But if I can keep costs low and the process doesn't feel too daunting I would like to try.

Has anyone any advice for me? Thank you in advance :tinysmile_grin_t:
    Tags: None

Re: Hello and advice needed on Small Claims Court

Does the person have anything of value, like a car or a house? If not then I would think hard otherwise it may be worthwhile.

Cost for small claims court is not huge, in your case for £5,000 it is £185, for £5,000 to £10,000 it is £410.

Got to the MCOL website and register then you can complete the claim online. The process is very simple and you can follow online. Just make sure you get all the details correct and the claim details make sense.

Comment

Can I round down my claim to £5000 in order to pay the lower fee? I could live with £185 but £410 feels too much.

Comment

You claim what you feel is appropriate.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X