• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Capquest / Dryden Solicitors - Egg credit card 2004

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capquest / Dryden Solicitors - Egg credit card 2004

Hi all, I am in desperate need of advice and would love to hear your experiences when dealing with this situation :-(

A bit about me, I am 34 and my current credit file is completely green with no bad marks, missed payment or single negative point at all. In my early twenties I struggled with money and got myself into a sitaution where I chose to bury my head and hope it all went away. I have kept no records and up until 2010 I did not even attempt to locate and manage my credit file.

Back to present day. Last monday (11th January 2016) I was notified by experian that an alert had been made against my file, I looged in and found that a CCJ had been applied as of 6th January 2016. I notified experian that i did not have any knowledge of this CCJ and they advised me to contact Northampton County Court to obtain details.

A lot of calls later I obtained references for Cap Quest and Dryden Solicitors and it has became clear that they have actioned court proceedings at an address I have not lived at since September 2014. Reading lots of forums it has become clear that this is a trick from creditors to draw people out of the woodwork or even get CCJs applied by default to scare people into paying something they would have a defence against if given the chance!

I have filed a N244 set aside request and paid the £155 fee on the grounds that I did not receive the paperwork and have my electoral registry information to back up my move. I am not massively concerned about the hearing as I have read so many success stories based on this very fact. Am I right in feeling confident about this firstly?

My main concern is that upon further investigation I am scared to rock the boat. I contacted Cap Quest and requested a statement of account but only did this over the phone and so far 8 days on I have not received anything... they stated that the Egg credit card was opened October 2004, that it defaulted in December 2005 and the last payment made by me directly to Egg was 28/04/2008. The man then said there was a "strange" transfer of £60.44 made from egg to cap quest 14/04/2010. When I said why is it strange he said it would have been a collection agent that forwarded the money to egg but that he had no more information on the transaction.

I popped into my bank and obtained copies of bank statements from November 2009-April 2010 to locate this amount. I was happy that this value did not exist then my blood went cold when I saw a transaction 07/04/2010 to Newlyn Baliffs for £97.96. I can only assume that this was fee deducted before forwarding the £60.44 to egg :-( basically, I think this debt does not fall in the statute barred arena like I hoped. although I have no memory of Newlyn and can only imagine i was duped into payment because my ignorance fo the word Baliff in their company name :-(

I do not know where to turn next, I have read so many forums about cca's lacking enforcable criteria prior to 2007 and I can only hope this would be the case with mine but am worried about jeopordising the set aside hearing if i go charging in requesting information etc. My hope is that this ccj will be set aside and that cap quest do not persue another claim?

Can anyone advise me on similar situations and if I have missed something?

Thank you in advance, a sleep deprived, grey haired paranoid mess :-(
    Tags: None

Re: Capquest / Dryden Solicitors - Egg credit card 2004

Another question that I did not put in my previous thread is, if this is in fact set aside and Cap Quest decide to come after me again, what date would apply to the claim? would it go from the original date they submitted court papers (when I had no knowledge of this) at my previous address? (November 2015) or would it start again from the re-sudmission?

The reason I ask is that the dodgy disputed payment was made april 2010 and if they do not respond with a second claim by april this year can I then enter Statute Barred as my genuine dispute?

Comment

Originally posted by lilface35 View Post
      Another question that I did not put in my previous thread is, if this is in fact set aside and Cap Quest decide to come after me again, what date would apply to the claim? would it go from the original date they submitted court papers (when I had no knowledge of this) at my previous address? (November 2015) or would it start again from the re-sudmission?

The reason I ask is that the dodgy disputed payment was made april 2010 and if they do not respond with a second claim by april this year can I then enter Statute Barred as my genuine dispute?

Hi, welcome to LB

To succeed in getting the judgement set aside you will also have to show that you have a defence to the original
      claim which has a reasonable chance of success.

Your grounds for application are sound and if you have evidence that Electoral Roll data was showing your new
      address on the dates prior to the issue of the claim.
      It is having a viable defence to the original claim that is important.

The payment made concerns me somewhat, if egg had received a payment via the bailiff ( Newlyn are certificated bailiffs) then it
      but be Egg that obtained judgement originally and instructed the bailiff.
      It does seem strange that Egg was enforcing a judgement some two years after the last payment.

The credit agreement has no relevance now as the judgement supersedes it completely.
      I suggest that you check Trust Online, The Registry Trust to see if you can find out who
      actually obtained judgement.

nem

Comment

Hi Nem,
        Thank you for your response, I have no documentation on this debt so far other than my bank statements :-/ I have requested a copy of the account statement from Cap Quest but that was 9 days ago and so far they have not returned any inforation about this account.

I am concerned that I will be going to court empty handed at this rate. Do you think I should SAR Cap Quest as soon as possible? The SAR should include any correspondance with Newlyn if this is in fact related to this debt? you have raised more alarm bells with me and I am not convinced now that the payment shown is even linked to this account - like you said they shouldnt have got a baliff involved at that stage and no further action was taken from Newlyn as far as I remember. I am going to call Newlyn and query what this payment was in relation to try to shed some light.

If I get this CCJ set aside does it effectively go back to the same status as the account would have been before the court proceedings? for example, would it still be last acknowledged from 2010 or has it now been brought more current by their claim in court?

Sorry to bombard you, I am shaking writing this message it is taking over my whole life :-(

Comment

Okay, Newlyn have confirmed this was in relation to a council tax account... I paid a friends account that she had missed a payment for so this was nothing to do with me PHEW!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X