• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Entitlement to see Policies and Procedures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entitlement to see Policies and Procedures

Hi All

New to the forum and looking for some advice. This thread is also posted in the Employment section. Any help would be most welcome much appreciated.

Small amount of advice needed (for now). After several incidents at work, none involving myself, I thought it would be a good idea to review the Policies and Procedures that cover discipline. I have to admit that I have never seen any such documents, they do exist apparently, although I have never even had an offer to review them either when I signed my original contract of employment or when I signed subsequent contracts (after changes to employment occured). Well today I asked if I could have a copy of the documents and I was told that I could see them, no time or date was given though, but could not have a copy. I understand that the company does not have to give every employee an "employee handbook" but if a specific request is made to get a copy are they obligated to provide me with one or is access, at a time that suites them, enough to fulfill their legal requirements.

Thanks in Advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Entitlement to see Policies and Procedures

I can see absolutely no reason why they would not let you have access to the policies.

Having said that, I can see why you may have put them on the defensive, if you requested in the context of incidents which had nothing to do with you.

That does not though alter my first view.

Comment

Excuse my lack of context. I have been involved in the disciplinary process before, only in the form of unofficial and undocumented 'telling offs'. I have to say that it did strike me as rather unprofessional in these meetings, but that's another story. Anyway a friend/college was recently suspended without pay, without warning and without any formal meeting. This started alarm bells ringing for me and thus is what made me want to read the Policies and Procedures regarding discipline. Still waiting to hear when I will be allowed to view the documents.

Comment

It sounds like a bit of a dodgy employer.

Nonetheless, if they are referenced in what you already have, you can in writing request a copy.

Of course, you risk "marking your card" as a troublemaker. How long have you worked there.

Comment

I have worked for my current employer for just over 12 years served my apprenticeship here and have done eight years on top of that. I think my card is already marked, not as a trouble maker as such but as someone that will debate back when needed and will always come prepared with the correct facts and information. On topic I just had word from the managing director that I can see the book, no word when, and in his words "your entitled to see it but make sure you take note of what's in it".

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X