• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Publishing a burglary in the local press ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Publishing a burglary in the local press ?

Hi everyone ,

I wonder if anybody can advise me . I stored goods in a container with a self storage company , the container was broken into and goods stolen , the police after a month have no leads at all , they asked me if I would allow local coverage in a newspaper , I was happy to allow this , anything to catch the culprits ,but the self storage company said they did not want it published as they were also a victim and it would damage business !..

My question is , can I still as a victim publish my story in a local paper or anywhere for that matter in the hope people may have witnessed the event or indeed know who did it, is there a law that says I cant ?

Any information I would be grateful for .

Thank you in advance .
    Tags: None

Re: Publishing a burglary in the local press ?

They were your goods, your story, they have no control if you want to publish the story

Were your goods insured or have you been compensated by the storage company?
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Thank you for that . Goods insured to 2k , total loss over 10k. Sadly

Comment

What were the goods?

Would they be covered under of your own existing policies?
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

The basic rule is you can publish unless they can prove it is not true. Actually you can still publish but they might successfully sue if they can prove it is not true.

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
          ~ Anonymous

Comment

Oh, unless you were storing secret documents for GCHQ or your goods somehow came under the official secrets act or you signed a confidentiality agreement with them.

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
            ~ Anonymous

Comment

It is perfectly OK or you to cause publication of the events and the consequence of them and to seek information from 3rd parties who may have knowledge of the events in question, you are naming no one and accusing identifiable individual.

If you were to say " did anyone see Joe the burglar nick my stuff " there might be a problem.:incourt: nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X