• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

ESA Re-Assessment after Tribunal Decision

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESA Re-Assessment after Tribunal Decision

hi everyone, have just joined and would like to say hello

I have a small query regarding Atos Reassessment. Last year I had a tribunal for ESA due to long term physical disability (previously on Incapacity Benefit). I had been turned down in my claim and in my appeal. The tribunal decided to award me 1 year of ESA with the support component. At the time I was awaiting a total left knee replacement and also for surgery to remove two pins from my left ankle. I could not weight bear on my left leg and was therefore on crutches. I also lived in a second floor flat with many stairs. Earlier this year I was due a review by Atos (march) and only recently had my medical. The situation since last year has changed as my Knee replacement has now been done, but I am still waiting for my ankle to be sorted out. Unfortunately although I was on a waiting list for my ankle my physiotherapist referred me back to orthopaedic surgeons to assess my right knee which is now showing the same symptoms as my left knee did before the knee replacement. This has meant me being taken off the waiting list for the surgery on my left ankle as it was decided to find out how bad my right knee is before proceeding. The problem being that if they operate on my ankle my right knee may give out and not support me leaving me unable to walk at all. They are not sure if the ankle procedure will leave me unable to weight bear until they 'get inside' as it's not clear if they will need replacing. To complicate matters although the MRI scan on my right knee shows cartiledge damage the surgeon is not sure how extensive this is until he 'goes in'. Because I am listed for an arthroscopy on my right knee, and no longer seeing a physiotherapist or on a waiting list for my ankle it would appear to some that my problems are minor. I am still on crutches and finding it increasingly difficult to manage stairs or walking far, still having to use tramadol (I am allergic to codeine and all anti-inflammatories so have no other option to control pain) which make me sleepy and also nauseous if I take them for more than three days at a time so my appetite suffers, therefore I have to have a break every few days from them. I live alone but my 74 year old mother comes to visit from 60 miles away every two weeks or so and stays for a few days at a time to cook up batches of food and portion and freeze them for me as i cannot stand for too long. She also cleans my flat and does washing and ironing etc as I find it difficult to do these things on crutches. She is my unofficial carer.
    I told all of this to the medical assessor (who said she was a doctor) and even though I am now suffering with both legs causing mobility problems they have told me I am no longer in the support group but have to go into the work related group. I also receive DLA Mobility higher rate and that will be assessed in november. What can I do to make these people see that if I was unable to work with one leg being bad, according to the judge and doctor at the tribunal, then how can I be better when both legs are now affected. This is depressing me even more as I am also concerned that my mother, at her age, cannot continue to give the support as it is tiring her out. Help
    Tags: None

Re: ESA Re-Assessment after Tribunal Decision

Hi, welcome and sorry to hear of your plight.

No doubt you have read other posts on tinternet which mirror your experiences, a short assessment by Atos and glory be, you're cured! Another miracle!

Did you manage to have the assessment recorded?
    Have you requested a copy of the "doctor's" report? This will help you highlight their inaccuracies (or downright lies) when you ask for the mandatory reconsideration.
    As you probably know, as you have been there already, if mandatory reconsideration goes against you, the next step is another tribunal appeal.

I doubt there is any way to short circuit the system.
    Your best hope is submitting a compelling request for mandatory reconsideration.
    It's best supported by medical reports, doctors letters. letters from people who know you. refer to the previous tribunal.

Best wishes

Comment

Thankyou

I didn't have the assessment recorded as on the day of the appointment they were running 2 hours late and were going to re-appoint, but at the last minute decided to assess me, With all the confusion I did get the impression things were rushed and I was ushered swiftly into the appointment and rushed out agin, this may be the reason why they obviously didn't assess me properly, although my mother did attend with me. My biggest problem will be eviudence as I am only under one consultant for an arthroscopy to my right knee and hae no real proof of the situation regarding my left ankle as all that has been cancelled due to this new situation with my right knee. I see what you say and have decided to get my doctor to back me up with a letter staing it is on hold but not resolved. Wish me luck and thanks again

Comment

Well good luck, but do request a copy of their "doctor's" assessment.
        This will enable you to correct their inaccuracies.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X