• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Please help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help!

My boyfriend was accused today with changing price tags from a supermarket and invited to come to the police station where he was fingerprinted and a statement was taken also and he was told that the hearing will be on the 7 of decembre.
    Can you please ,please ,tell me what do we have to do?
    What will be the consequences?
    Can we can reach an agreement with the supermarket to withdraw the complaint?
    Thank You!
    Tags: None

Re: Please help!

Was your boyfriend shown any CCTV footage of him allegedly changing price tags in a supermarket? Was this supermarket a major multiple or a one-man band, please?
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Sorry for not introducing myself, but I am quite desparate because he might lose his job and never be able to work again with a criminal record!
      Yes at the police station they showed him some footage ,but are not showing him actually changing the prices
      The supermarket is Sainsbury s.
      Thank you!

Comment

did he have legal representation at the police station

Comment

Sainsbury's use EPOS (Electronic Point of Sale) and so do not have price labels. The price is encoded into the barcode on the product. If the CCTV footage does not show him changing price labels, as Sainsbury's allege, they are going to have some explaining to do. And so are the police. Which police force is involved, please, and was he made aware of his rights at the police station?

Comment

If they don't have price labels, surely it's going to be rather tricky for the CCTV to show him changing them?:mmph::confused2:

Comment

he was taken to wymondham police and yes they did tell him his rights , and at that moment he did consider that he will need a lawyer
              They gave him also some papers - contrary to section 1(1) and 7 of the theft act 1968 ,h.o. 46/none local none cjs yh68010

Comment

he did not tought that he will need one!

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                  If they don't have price labels, surely it's going to be rather tricky for the CCTV to show him changing them?:mmph::confused2:
                  Exactly.

Comment

The papers they gave him are a summary of the offence, which they are required to give him by law. Also, two weeks from charge to hearing is insufficient, unless the hearing is to enter a plea only. On what articles is he alleged to have changed "price labels"?

Comment

what do we have to do now?

Comment

what is unusual is being arrested

i thought these were delt with via FPN now whice the copper is authorised to give

seems ott to me

Comment

I would strongly advise your brother to seek professional legal advice. If Norfolk Constabulary have no evidence of him allegedly changing "price tickets", where do they get the evidence to justify charging him? You can't charge someone on the say-so of some overzealous oaf of a security guard.

Comment

Originally posted by miliitant View Post
                            what is unusual is being arrested

i thought these were delt with via FPN now whice the copper is authorised to give

seems ott to me
                            Just noticed. The Norfolk Constabulary Numpties have charged the OP's brother with Theft when, in fact, the correct charge should be Fraud by False Misrepresentation. You need to be able to prove dishonesty, appropriation and intent to permanently deprive for Theft.

Comment

not going off topic but what is sending alarm signals is this chap was

arrested
                              detained
                              finder printed
                              DNA
                              photographed

ON NO REAL EVIDENCE A CRIME HAS BEEN COMMITTED

what do we have

CCTV

THIS DOES NOT SHOW ANY OFFENCE BEING COMMITTED

PRICE TAGS

SUPERMARKETS DO NOT USE PRICE TAGS, THEY USE THE BAR CODES

so i am going to ask

under PACE

WHAT EVIDENCE IS THEIR FOR A POLICE CONSTABLE TO SUSPECT AN OFFENCE HAS OCCURED TO WARRANT ARREST AND DETENTION
                              Last edited by miliitant; 23rd November 2012, 20:20:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X