• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hi all. Where can I get advice for Injury Compensation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all. Where can I get advice for Injury Compensation

Hi all,

I was knocked off my motorcycle & ran over last summer and still have a few medical issues. I also have a Claim Solicitor (part of my Insurance Brokers company) who is handling my claim. I was knocked unconscious and trapped beneath the other vehicle for nearly an hour. Given Morphine at the scene. Taken to Hospital but no broken bones were found that gave concern. I did have cracked ribs.
    I had cuts to one knee, shin & and ankle. My ankle was severely sprained from being stuck under the wheels of the other vehicle.
    I have learned that the pain from my injuries I am suffering will never go. I also have emotional issues, bursting into tears without warning. This is being dealt with by the Pain Clinic psychologist. I am taking several medicines to reduce the pain which have their side effects, one of which causes a more sensitive problem and calls for a supplementary prescription.
    How will the compensation be calculated once a full assessment has been done?
    N.B. the other driver and their insurance has accepted 100% responsibilty.
    Tags: None

Re: Hi all. Where can I get advice for Injury Compensation

Hi Ale Ian,

You were very lucky to have sustained the injuries you did. When I was in the police force, I came across RTCs involving motorcyclists who had sustained far worse injuries than yourself.

Some of the things that will be taken into account when formulating your claim are -

Loss of Earnings
    Loss of Future Earnings (if your injuries will prevent you from continuing in the job you were doing at the time of your accident or restrict the sort of work you could do)
    Pain and Suffering
    Prescription Costs

Hospital Fees (when you were taken to hospital by the ambulance service and treatment you received at the A & E Department)
    Detriment to Health (the fact the pain will never go)
    Cost of Repairing your Motorcycle or Offer of Settlement if a Total Loss

These are just a few of the things that will be taken into account when the legal professional acting for you comes to formulate (calculate) your final claim.

The emotional issue you refer to is probably Post Traumatic Stress (PTS). Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT or Talk Therapy) is often very effective in treating this.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Re: Hi all. Where can I get advice for Injury Compensation

There is a Judicial Studies Board booklet giving guidelines for the damages (compensation) for different types of personal injury, giving a range for each condition according to its severity, usually in 4 bands. There is also a standard reference work, Kemp and Kemp on Personal Injury which gives guidelines cases. This book is much larger and more cumbersome to use than the JSB booklet.

These sources give general damages (compensation for receiving the injury); in addition you cna claim Special damages, which are the kind of things Blue Bottle mentioned above - loss of earnings, expenses you would otherwise have had eg travel to hospital visits, physiotherapy not covered by the NHS, damage to bike and clothing / equipment, adaptations to your home if needed etc.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X