• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DWP Overpayment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWP Overpayment

Hi to all
    I recently joined and posted a problem I am having with the DWP, and in particular an overpayment of my income support for the period 2004 - 2005. Overpayment is £18,862.65 and apparently caused by me providing incorrect information on 31/08/04. DWP Income support claim I never advised them that my wife had commenced casual part-time employment. I have a copy of a letter sent to them dated 06/03/2005, so as far as I was concerned I did inform them.

Whilst I was drafting my reply to them I discovered a letter from them dated 24/03/05 informing me that my change in circumstances would not affect the income support they were paying me. Even better than this, on 13/07/05 my benefit claim was transferred from the benefit office in London, to Northern Ireland and I received a letter from the new office informing me that my change in circumstances will not affect the benefit they were paying me. They however miscalculated the benefit they were paying me and this letter claimed they would continue paying my benefit but the amount quoted was double the amount I was actually receiving. Notes that I had written on this letter show I telephoned the office and they admitted an error had been made, they had added my incapacity benefit twice. They apologised and promised to send out a new letter with the correct level of income support. So hopefully I have got them, if they did pay me the incorrect benefit level its their error. As I received a reply telling me the change in my circumstances (i.e. my wife commencing part time work) did not affect the income support they were paying me, then it must be their error.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my original post and for the advice given.
    Tags: None

Re: DWP Overpayment

go get em hun!!

Comment

A good result for you, well done. It goes to show the benefit of keeping paperwork.

Comment

It would appear that DWP send out this kind of overpayment letter as a 'first shot across the bows'..
        However, if you can return an 'it was down to your administrative error' broadside, they are sunk!
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X