• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Section 21

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Section 21

My daughter was issued with a section 21 by her landlord . This was not for any other reason that we can think off other than the fact that there were a lot of maintenance issues on the property that she kept querying. She found another property and moved out as she did not want to be homeless. The same letting agency immediately put the property up for rent again at a higher rate. Can a landlord evict someone for no reason and then re rent immediately. She had been in the property since oct 2009 and was out of a signed lease agreement. Please can anybody help?
    Tags: None

Re: Section 21

Was it a Section 21(1) or a Section 21(4)?

Had she not signed any further sort of tenancy agreement, or was there anything in the original AST agreement which stated it would automatically turn into an Assured Tenancy after a period of x months?

Comment

Hi
      Not sure on the answers to any of the questions at the moment as all information is at her house. Does it make a difference?

Comment

Yes. Depending what sort of tenancy she had they may have used the wrong eviction order, and Section 21(4)'s are notoriously difficult to serve correctly.

Until we know the legal status of her tenancy agreement, it's very hard to offer constructive help. I guess that's the first thing to ask.:tinysmile_grin_t:

Comment

Thank you I will check this for you, I assume if I ask for copies the agency would have to produce them.

Comment

Thank you I will check this for you, I assume if I ask for copies the agency would have to produce them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hells View Post
              My daughter was issued with a section 21 by her landlord . This was not for any other reason that we can think off other than the fact that there were a lot of maintenance issues on the property that she kept querying. She found another property and moved out as she did not want to be homeless. The same letting agency immediately put the property up for rent again at a higher rate. Can a landlord evict someone for no reason and then re rent immediately. She had been in the property since oct 2009 and was out of a signed lease agreement. Please can anybody help?
              How much notice was she given on section 21?
              Was it an assured shorthold tenancy?

If Notice was given 2 months prior then the landlord can get rid of anyone they so choose and re rent out the apartment providing the right notice was given.

Did she get her deposit back?
              Is there a reason why you are asking as your daughter has a new place now?
              "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
              (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

No they have not given the deposit back yet, she left in early jan. they had lots of maintenance problems that they kept requesting to be done , ie damage to the house due to the leaking roof that they failed to fix, they had to have scaffolding up for 3 months, roofers attended on 3 different times but still couldn't sort. The kitchen floor had to be dug up due to a leak, the fire stopped working. The oven had to be replaced. The heating didn't work for 3 months and the boiler was leaking. The toilet had problems etc. The original landlord tried his best but then he died and shortly after they were issued with this notice. It does not seem right that you can evict someone then readvertise. I am trying to find out what is says in the tennancy agreement so will update as soon as I know.

Comment

They have the right to do so providing they give the requisite notice, ie two months notice.

When did she move out? Worth chasing up the deposit as well
                  "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                  (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                    They have the right to do so providing they give the requisite notice, ie two months notice.
                    As long as they make sure the notice ends on the date of the end of one period of the tenancy. This means that in reality, the two months notice is often longer than two months. If they get this bit wrong, the notice is invalid.

Comment

Check Section 1, Protection from Eviction Act 1977 at Legislation.gov.uk.
                      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X