• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hello

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

I was one of those people who backed Voler La Vedette on 28th December with Betfair. They decided to void all the bets.

This is an article about what happened
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011...tion-race-void

I was wondering if legally there was a case to answer.
    Tags: None

Re: Hello

honest answer is I do not know but an interesting story to read about from the Guardian.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Hi Rob, as with most bookies, they have written terms about paying out, so I would wait to see if anybody sets a presedance by taking betfair to court and reclaiming their outlay, or make a claim for the winnings.
      It could be very expensive, so keep any eye one the press, and if a claim should be successful, then you can tailor your claim to suit.

Comment

RE terms Betfair's excuse initially was this

"Betfair Customer Services 28 Dec 11 16:42
        Customers betting in-play on this race will have seen that Voler La Vedette
        was available to back at 29 when the in-running market was suspended, and
        that a considerable sum was matched on the clear winner at that price. An
        investigation has revealed that this was due to an obvious technical fault
        which allowed a customer to exceed their exposure limit.

In accordance with our terms and conditions, all in running bets on this
        race, both win and place, will be made void.
        We fully appreciate the dissatisfaction this will cause many customers, and
        apologise for a very poor customer and betting experience"

But their other terms says this

"9/ Minimum and maximum bet stakes
        Your betting limit is represented by the lesser of: (i) your 'Available to
        Bet' balance shown in your account and (ii) your 'Exposure Limit' (which is
        available in the "Account Summary" tab in "My Account"). However in the
        event that we process an offer for a bet or the acceptance of a bet in an
        amount outside the applicable thresholds, such bet will nevertheless stand."
        http://www.betfair.com/aboutUs/Terms...ions/#section7

Couldn't you argue that their cover all void anything they like term is an unfair term? Particularly as they run bots in their own markets and if that loses money you could argue it might influence their decision whether to void or not?

Do I need to post this question in another section of the forum to get more views on it?

Comment

You could post it on another thread, but the bottom line is you would need to go to court with other case law to back up your argument, contract law is not an exact science, so as my last post, when somebody else who can afford to take bet fair to court, and win, it will pave the way for others to claim.

Comment

Try the Gaming Board or the Gambling Commission. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

I can remember William Hill trying this some years ago. As a result, William Hill learned a very expensive lesson that you don't rip the punters off.
            Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X