• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

council tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• council tax

Hi everyone I am new to this site and want to say hello. I have joined cos I have some serious problems with Bradford Council. They agreed a rate of repayments for an old debt and I have been paying them. It now appears that I had paid the last 14 weeks into an account not theirs.They have threatened me with baliffs action. They also said that I was responsible and told me I was to pay them £15.00 per week this is impossible as I am on incapacity benefits. Each time I email them I get the same response. Can I have this matter refererred to court so that I can produce my evidence and if so who do I apply to. Thanks for your suggestions. This is really causing me stress which is again affecting my long term fecovery.:seagull:
    Tags: None

Re: council tax

Have a look at this sheet it may help
    Servo Fides

Comment

Well prior to any court action you are thinking of taking, you would need to make it clear to the baliff that as you have been repaying the debt as agreed with the council on a weekly basis, then any chance of the court issue a repossession order as very slim, instead the court will take into account the fact you have continued to pay weekly as agreed with the council and your willingness to repay the debt being evident as a result, meaning the court will simply only order you to make repayments of what you can afford. And as your on incapacity benefits then that amount of repayment will likely be reduced to £1 per week.

Plus their are certain guidlines that protect vulnerable people from such baliff actions, and being on incapacity benefit means you will likely be classed as vulnerable.

I would also make a formal complaint to the council about them passing this off to a baliff despite you continously making repayments as agreed with them, that is now resulting in undue harassment and threats of court action from the baliff company. I wquld also ask the council for their code of practise for the enforcement of council tax debt - As you may find it prevents such baliff taking action against you.

Can i ask which company it is you have been paying for the last 14 weeks?
      Last edited by teaboy2; 1st November 2011, 12:11:PM.
      Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

I have to say Teaboy, that was my first thought. If it hasn't been paid to their account who has your money and what can be done about getting it back?

How were you paying? I assume it can't have been through a payment book or card as this mistake couldn't have happened that way.

I would suggest you write explaining you have been paying as per the arrangement (enclose copies of proof) and you are trying to get the money back. As soon as you do it will be passed to them to catch you up with your payments, and would they please bear with you while you rectify this mistake.

Also point out it is not in anybodys interests to instruct bailiffs as this will hinder your ability to pay, it will increase your debt, and is likely to cause a severe amount of stress which could be avoided. You are not a non-payer, it's just that a mistake has been made - this happens and they need to bear with you while it is resolved.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X