• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot Hassle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot Hassle

Hi all!

Read some great threads on here, so I thought I would let you know of an experience with Cabot today.

I received a letter from them adressed to me(as in correct name) and to call them asap or a representative shall be calling at my address on the 14th April.

I called them and they would not tell me what the debt was about, just nothing but questions about previous addresses, all of which I denied, although they did get one or two of them right.

The guy on worm on the phone said he would investigate it and call me back.

I then have my neighbour at the door saying that a Sarah from Kent was on the phone asking if I still lived next door as she wanted to write a letter to me.

10 mins after that a Sarah from Cabot calls me, and we start all over again on the security questions and previous addresses, again I denied them all.
    I then challenged her about calling my neighbour which she admitted, at that point I said I was not commenting anymore untill I take legal advice, and hung up.

I then called them back around and hour or two later and asked them for all correspondance on the account, including the instruction to recover the debt, which she said she would do, she then said that the debt was from Vanquis Bank, and that I made a payment in September 09 (news to me!).

I have no recollection of this debt, and there excuse for calling my neighbour was for there own investigations.

I am based in Scotland and I am not sure if laws are different, but any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
    Tags: None

Re: Cabot Hassle

Sounds about par for the course with Cabot I'm afraid.

Time to read the first link in my siggie and NEVER call them again.
    Any correspondence MUST be in writing.

Comment

With this if genuinley the debt is not yours request a cca and send a cheque for 1pound. If they turn around and dont provide then as im sure your aware its not forcable. However if the debt is proved to be yours and it was forgot about i think the best thing to do would be to set up an arrangment. Although all the posts on here are very useful at the end of the day if they prove it is yours and they have done nothing wrong they have you by the balls my friend!

Comment

The OFT imposed "Requirements" on another DCA firm RE: leaving messages with neighbours etc...
        http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/pre...quirements.pdf

Cabot, Compliance!!!

by Hoopster:
        I have no recollection of this debt, and there excuse for calling my neighbour was for there own investigations.

Comment

Dont forget this company bend the rules at any given time they use credit files to find out where people are and where they have last taken out credit. The problem is every time they are taken to court there seems to be some law or bi-law protecting them!

Comment

Originally posted by lifeisagift017 View Post
            With this if genuinley the debt is not yours request a cca and send a cheque for 1pound.
            Err NO !!!

Why are you advising a lawful request for information in this manner.
            If this is NOT their debt then a CCA is completely pointless and also discloses more information about this person to the DCA than is needed.
            A simple Prove It will do this job more than adequately..

Please if you are going to offer advice on dealing with DCA's at least be correct and accurate in your postings.
            Misinformation is not only dangerous, but unwelcome.

Comment

Sorry i mis-read the thread....
              The problem with a simple prove it request is that some people do move away and forget debts therefor by saying prove it!
              I think the best thing to do it request the documents with your name on it so the original application form. They do not HAVE to give it to you but i would guess they will find it. The other problem is, is they will have put a default on your credit file as well so maybe chech your associated parties bit on experien or equifax and see if there is someone with th same name but differnt dob or something like that!

Comment

Dude, do you have any idea what is requested in a Prove It letter as you clearly have some comprehension problems.

As DCA's and Cabot in this case are well known for spam phishing similar names with debts they purchase, firing off CCA requests on receipt of their demands is NOT the way to approach this matter.

Are you telling me YOU would do this ?!?!

So as I said earlier, get your advice right or don't bother posting.

Comment

I think your not understanding my point. Im agreeing with what your saying but im saying for the benefit of the credit file its worht checking because a credit reference bereau can remove it if its obviously wrong and the details are wrong i had a next retail account moved off as the dob was completly wrong!

Comment

There is NO mention of the CRA, so what on earth are you talking about here.

This debt is NO recognised by the OP and so this approach would be the correct way to continue.

Comment

Ys but if they are persuaing him for this debt regardless if it is his or not cabot will have tried to find him using credit reference agency's therfore placing a default on there that could well be wrong!
                      Dude i think your trying to argue for the sake of arguing now!

Comment

Originally posted by lifeisagift017 View Post
                        Ys but if they are persuaing him for this debt regardless if it is his or not cabot will have tried to find him using credit reference agency's therfore placing a default on there that could well be wrong!
                        NOT true yet again.
                        While the DCA's do indeed trawl the CRA files they cannot simply add a default as they feel fit.
                        The can update an existing default as posted by the OC though.
                        That's assuming the OC has even posted it.

In this case it does NOT sound like they have even bothered to do that, simply used the phone book or electoral register for similar names, yes it happens alot..

Comment

Agreed....just lastly as well surely the use of credit files is wrong as they should be personal. I know they can report to them and placedefaults etc but surely just to look up where people are cant be right?

Comment

Many thanks Curlyben for your posts on here.

regards
                            Garlok

Comment

Originally posted by Garlok View Post
                              Many thanks Curlyben for your posts on here.

regards
                              Garlok

Ditto!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X