• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hi all. New and needing help with Jacobs Bailiffs!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all. New and needing help with Jacobs Bailiffs!

Hello once again. Just wondered if anybody could help me regarding a bailiff letter I had posted this morning! This was from my Council tax the very same I written to in November 2010 asking for a payment plan ov past arrears. I also stated that I had received no council tax bill since I moved to my present address last April.(All this was sent to them in a letter in November then again in Jan as I never heard anything) and to my horror I was posted a Jacobs bailiff letter saying they want £1,028.17 in costs(written in big red writting) along with £50 written in red at the bottom ov the letter! I was fast on the phone to the council tax who stated that it was in the hands of the bailiffs. I'm currently on very low maternity pay and do not have the money to pay or the goods to take. Any advice would really help me out. Thanks in advance x
    Tags: None

Re: Hi all. New and needing help with Jacobs Bailiffs!

Originally posted by debsbro View Post
    Hello once again. Just wondered if anybody could help me regarding a bailiff letter I had posted this morning! This was from my Council tax the very same I written to in November 2010 asking for a payment plan ov past arrears. I also stated that I had received no council tax bill since I moved to my present address last April.(All this was sent to them in a letter in November then again in Jan as I never heard anything) and to my horror I was posted a Jacobs bailiff letter saying they want £1,028.17 in costs(written in big red writting) along with £50 written in red at the bottom ov the letter! I was fast on the phone to the council tax who stated that it was in the hands of the bailiffs. I'm currently on very low maternity pay and do not have the money to pay or the goods to take. Any advice would really help me out. Thanks in advance x
    First don't panic and certainly do not let the Bailiffs, under any circumstances, into your property

The debt is the responsibility of the Council who are said to be 'vicariously liable' for the Bailiffs action. (Use Google for a further explanation)There is a prescribed set of charges that Bailiffs can legally charge and they would not be anywhere near the amounts you are quoting.

Unless the 'matter' is very urgent I find it better to put everything you say down in writing, IE letters not phone calls. Otherwise it becomes a "he said, she said, he said " game.

Go back to the Council ask for a breakdown in what and when you actually owe the Council.
    It is sometimes possible to ask for a 'recovery hold' to be placed on your Council Tax account, this is usually for about a 14 day period when any Bailiffs action is halted, this allows time for you to obtain the information from the council. Then set up a payment plan direct to the Council (NOT the Bailiffs). The minimum amount per week that is usually acceptable is around about £3 - £4 per week. However, the Council can take payments from certain benefits (Income Support or income related ESA - there may be others) and whilst that is happening and you are regularly paying, NO further bailiffs action can be placed on you.

Hope this helps and does not confuse the situation.
    Last edited by Swingletree; 8th February 2011, 12:28:PM.
    If you do what you always do, you will always get what you always get!

Comment

Re: Hi all. New and needing help with Jacobs Bailiffs!

Thank you Swingletree I will get on to that straight away. I have not slept due to this just really want to get this sorted now. Thanks again.:beagle:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X