• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hello, new member, struggling with Rossendales

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, new member, struggling with Rossendales

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site, found you when googling to try and find some advice about dealing with Rossendale's bailiffs.

I sold a pub business two years ago, and was aware that there were some business rates outstanding (for which the council has a liability order) - though I have had no contact from the council since November 2008.
    Rossendales' bailiff appeared at my door on 9th November. Luckily noone was in, so they left a letter. I emailed them immediately via the web-site and have been in daily contact since.
    I managed to get them to stop action for three weeks whilst the council checked the dates etc, but in the meantime I have been emailing them to say I will pay, but I cannot manage to pay it all in one go.
    I have repeatedly asked them to let me know what they consider to be a reasonable instalment repayment but they just keep saying that the bailiff must come to my house, to take a levy and only then will they reach an instalment agreement. I have told them repeatedly that I know my rights and that I will not let the bailiff into my house, and that I want to correspond and agree payment via email. This morning I have emailed through to them a income and expenditure schedule and offered £300 per month (the debt is £8k), and asked that they pass this offer onto their bailiff if has to approve it.
    I am so frightened that they are going to turn up and hammer at my door, I feel completely intimidated by the whole situation.
    I have also spoken to the council on the phone, and via email - they just tell me repeatedly that they cannot deal and that I must speak to the bailiffs. I have asked for a copy of their recovery procedure and the service level agreement with Rossendales but they have not sent me anything yet.
    I just wondered if anyone had any recent experience like this, and whether you think I am doing the right thing, or is there anything else I could or should be doing?
    Any advice or reassurance would be much appreciated, I feel so lonely.
    Tags: None

Re: Hello, new member, struggling with Rossendales

You have the right to refuse entry to your home and the bailiffs cannot force their way into your home to collect unpaid business rates. Furthermore, you should not sign any papers the bailiffs may post through your door, otherwise you may be charged extra costs and the bailiffs may try to enter by force.

Have you read this? Bailiff Guide - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

Rossendales, in common with most if not all bailiff companies, will rely on intimidation and ignorance.

At some point, regardless of what the council tell you, they will have to give up and return the debt to the council if you continue to disallow them access to your home.

A good starting point might be to start paying what you can afford, no matter how little, immediately whether they agree to your offer or not and if the bailiffs will not accept your offer of payment then ask the council to take the account back from the bailiffs to let you pay them directly.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X