• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi

Hi everyone, just trying to find my way around this forum not sure where I should be posting....to cut a long story short, I could do with some advice on the following:

Bought a car from a used car dealership. Gear box broke. They fixed it. 15 months later, driving down the motorway, engine literally fell out of car. Towed to garage locally, engine put back together again but cost £1k. Garage has told me that engine fell out due to shoddy work when fixing the gear box (they say can tell from the screws etc, that was from when this work was done). Do I have any recourse to get this money back from the used car dealers (who are typical used car salesmen...not an authorised dealership). I've read that we'd have needed to give garage opportunity to quote in first place, but this wasn't poss as didn't realize they had caused the problem until the garage fixed it and told us...
    Please help, I'm very out of pocket...!
    Thanks

Re: Hi

For any number of reasons you may not wish to give the original supplying car dealer the opportunity to work on the car again, not least of which is the poor standard of workmanship they have displayed.

In this case, you should obtain a report from the garage that repaired the latest damage, giving full details of the reasons for the damage.

Then you may issue a claim against the original dealership. However, fifteen months may be considered a long time and you may not be able to recover the full amount as your rights do weaken over time.

If the damage is directly and irrefutably attributable to the work the dealership did, or did not do then I would expect you to have a strong case and you should issue them with a Letter Before Action explaining that you expect them to contribute to your costs, why you expect this and giving them fourteen days to do so.

At the expiry of your deadline and provided that they have not paid you, issue a claim against them for the amount you have lost.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X