• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shoplifting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoplifting

Hi, in December 2023 I did something completely stupid and was shoplift from Sainsburys which I take full responsibility for. I was held by uncover security gave my name and address and was let go, got sent a letter by DWF firm which I payed just couldn't be dealing with the hassle £150 it was.

The police weren't called and I just got told to never go into sainsburys again, im about to apply for a important job so have I got a criminal record I need to disclose and tell them when they Vett me going through my file they'll find a record or a caution?
    Tags: None

Relax
    Unless you have been convicted of some other offence, you will not have a criminal record .
    There is no need to declare this incident
    Good luck with the job application

Comment

Thank you DES8.

I have zero other offences, so they wouldn't have passed it over to the police for them to deal with or upload into a system? So no criminal record?

Comment

Another curious question going off topic. Can you get a criminal record without going to court or without you even knowing you have one?

Comment

A criminal record is a record of a person's court convictions
          Convictions in absentia do occur but the defendant normally finds out soon afterwards.

The Police National Computer contains records of cautions and convictions

Comment

Would I have a caution or a conviction on my records for that shoplifting incident?

Comment

Have you been prosecuted by the police, tried in a magistrates court, found guilty and convicted of shoplifting by the magistrates? If not you can't have a conviction recorded against you on the Police National Computer (PNC) because no conviction exists.

Have you been instructed to attend a police station where a caution has been read out to you and which you have signed accepted, agreeing that you commited the offence of shoplifting? If not you you can't have a Caution recorded against you on the PNC because no Caution exists.
              All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

The police didn't get involved the people I felt with were sainsburys security and staff. Was just worried if they sent it to the police to put it on my file

Comment

Sainsbury's and DWF have no more legal powers than I do. None of us could put details of your shoplifting on the PNC. They could call the police and report they have been a victim.of crime (as any crime victim could) and the police might or might not investigate.

But if Sainsbury's were going to do that they would have done so at the time. Which they didn't do. So highly unlikely to do so now., 9 months later.

And even if they did the police do not record crimes against your name just because Sainsbury's say so! There would have to be a process of police investigation, they would have to interview you, etc.

So if asked in any employment form if you have a criminal record, conviction, or caution you can truthfully and accurately reply No.
                  All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Okay thank you has just been playing on my mind and my future

Comment

Could I still even get a letter from the police asking for a interview even though it's been 9months?

Comment

Whilst you can never say anything is impossible I've never heard of such a thing happening and no-one posting on this forum has ever reported it.

With one-off minor shoplifting offences the store either calls the police at the time or it never involves the police.

Comment

Okay thank you. I never knew that sainsburys couldn't just give you a criminal or a caution without police involvement, or the only way you can get a criminal record is only through court. Literally when I got caught and let go I thought that's it then I've got a record or a caution, but touch wood the police don't get in contact

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X