• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot Financial (UK) Limited - Claim Form in the Civil National Business Centre

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot Financial (UK) Limited - Claim Form in the Civil National Business Centre

Hi, I'm new to all this and am seeking solid advise and steps I can take to action the below please...

To give you some background I went through a messy divorce about 8 years ago and ended up in financial ruin and in debt due to depression and no work for a few years.

To cut to the chase I defaulted on a loan agreement that was registered as default on my credit file over 7 and half years ago which dropped off my file after 6 years and point to note is no acknowledgement or any payments have been made at all.

Therefore, can I be sent a Claim Form in the Civil National Business Centre after 7 plus years and is this enforceable, if so, how should I prepare and proceed to defend myself, as I'm also struggling to understand the Particulars of Claim?
    Tags: None

After 6 years, provided you haven't changed your address and not notified the creditor, and you haven't had any contact from the creditor in this period, the claim is statute barred.
    You still must file a defence. Please read "Acknowledge Claim" under "SHORTCUTS" on the righthand side of this page

Comment

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
      After 6 years, provided you haven't changed your address and not notified the creditor, and you haven't had any contact from the creditor in this period, the claim is statute barred.
      You still must file a defence. Please read "Acknowledge Claim" under "SHORTCUTS" on the righthand side of this page
      Thanks Pezza54 for that, just a question around the Particulars of Claim which I do not understand what is meant by the below when the default date was xx/xx/2017?

By agreement between XXXX and the Defendant on around xx/xx/2016 ('the Agreement') XXXX agreed to loan the Defendant monies. The Defendant did not pay the installments as they fell due. The Agreement was terminated following the service of a default notice. The Agreement was assigned to the named Claimant. Cabot Credit Management Group Limited, acting as servicing agent of the named Claimant through its Appointed Representative (Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited), has arranged for these proceedings to be issued in the name of the Claimant. The named Claimant may be entitled to claim interest under the4 Agreement but do seek such interest and instead claims interest under Section 69(1) of the County Courts Act 1984 at 8% p.a. from xx/xx/2021 until date of issue only, or such interest as the Courts think fit THE NAMED CLAIMANT THEREFORE CLAIMS 1. £xxxx.xx 2. Interest of £xxxx.xx 3. Costs

Comment

The date of the default notice and the end of the expiry period referred to in the default notice is the critical date. If more than 6 years has passed since this date and you haven't acknowledged the debt or made any payments during this period, the claim should be statute barred.
        Your defence should be based on Section 5 of the Limitations Act 1980.
        Please read paragraph 7 in the "Example Defence" under "SHORTCUTS" on the righthand side of this page

Comment

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
          The date of the default notice and the end of the expiry period referred to in the default notice is the critical date. If more than 6 years has passed since this date and you haven't acknowledged the debt or made any payments during this period, the claim should be statute barred.
          Your defence should be based on Section 5 of the Limitations Act 1980.
          Please read paragraph 7 in the "Example Defence" under "SHORTCUTS" on the righthand side of this page
          noted, is the date of default notice the same as the default date that we are referring to and is the expiry period the 6 yrs from the default date?

Comment

No not 6 years. The expiry date is at the end of the few weeks given in the default notice to make payment

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X