• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Company car damage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company car damage

Hello
    i was working for a care agency as an area manager, so I was given use of their pool company car. When I left the company in May this year I returned the car which and some damage to it which I had notified my boss about,
    Today I have received a bill for £900 which I have been told I have to pay. She does not want to use her insurance company as she has an excess of £1000.
    I never signed anything to say that I would be liable for damage to the car, and the damage was sustained because of visiting a client who lived down an unmade track.
    Am I liable for payment of this ?
    thank you
    JW
    Tags: None

Hi
    Welcome to LB
    As the damage was not your fault and you were carrying out work in the course of your employment, you are not liable for the £900
    In addition there is nothing in your employment contract that states you are responsible for paying for damage to the vehicle when you are using it

Comment

The important thing here is what your contract of employment says, or any other document issued to you about driving a company car. Please have a look at your contract/company car user agreement and post here what it says about damage to company vehicles (if it says anything at all).

It's irrelevant that the damage is less than the excess on the company motor insurance policy. It's their choice to have a £1,000 excess. They can't use that as a reason to make you pay.

Did the bill explain why they thought you should pay. eg say it was in some employment contract/agreement? Did they allege it was damaged through your negligence?
      All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X