• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

When to expect Sainsbury's DWF letter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to expect Sainsbury's DWF letter?

So, I was caught trying to take some goods without paying for them, approx value £35, on 10th September.

The Loss Prevention Officer made some ludicrous claims, namely that:
    - Sainsbury's would use facial recognition to enforce a nationwide lifetime ban and instantly eject me from the stores if I entered, and the police would charge me with burglary. (I have done some research and Sainsbury's state they do not use facial recognition)
    - If I was ever caught stealing from Sainsbury's again I would go to jail for a "minimum three years" (for context, I have no priors for shoplifting so find any suggestion of jail time ridiculous)
    - I would receive a "fine" for £5-600 through the post soon and if I didn't pay it I would be taken to court and sent to jail

I am hoping that I just receive the standard request for £150 from DWF.

I am just wondering when I should expect to receive this letter, given the incident was 10th September. If anyone could help with a recent experience that would be great, thank you.

Tags: None

IF it arrives just throw it in the bin, most certainly don't pay it!

Comment

When you receive it our advice is to ignore it, but personally I would keep it not throw it away. No set timescale but I've noticed from recent threads from other people here that they often don't receive a DWF letter until 3 or 4 weeks later.

FYI the offence of burglary requires [my bold] "entering a building or part of a building as a trespasser with intent to commit theft, grievous bodily harm or criminal damage" [CPS guidance to s9, Theft Act 1968]. Not entering a Sainsburys with the intent to buy groceries!

As I expect you know DWF/Sainsburys cannot issue "fines",
      All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Thanks PallasAthena.

Have there been any recent updates on Sainsbury's specifically trying to issue 'speculative invoices' for multiple occasions?

e.g. "We caught you with goods valued £35 this date. We believe you did similar on XYZ date so are invoicing you for £5000"

Comment

Not that I've seen reported on here.
          All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X